• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Sony A77 (original) Adobe RGB JPEGs to sRGB in Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwwinaz

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Class V10
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have been taking pictures with my Sony A77 since 2011. I usually shoot sRGB. I have several thousand images that were taken using Adobe RGB colorspace. I've recently started using Lightroom. I use my JPEGs in other applications so I would like to convert these JPEG files to sRGB (I want to modify the existing file, not create a copy).
Can I/should I do the conversion within Lightroom?
If I need to use an external converter, will that make any difference within Lightroom?

The A77 uses an initial "_" in the file name to indicate Adobe RGB was used so I can identify the files. Once converted to sRGB I'll remove the "_". For the raw ARW files, I think I only need to remove the "_

Thanks for your help!

You will have to export to create a file using a different color profile. AdobeRGB is the larger envelop of colors for a JPEG. sRGB is a smaller set of colors that fits mostly inside AdobeRGB. Lightroom or any other program needs to rewrite the pixels to fit inside the colorspace that you choose. You really want to preserve the maximum range of colors possible and create a derivative image to fit the color capabilities. Older browsers and monitors were only capable of displaying the smaller envelope. It was develop by HP over 20 years ago. AdobeRGB was developed for printers that can display more colors. Some newer monitors also display colors in the range of AdobeRGB. Lightroom processes in the largest envelop ProPhotoRGB.

If you want to preserve the most colors available with your camera, you should shoot RAW and choose a colorspace suitable for your intended destination Print or web when you export. Here is a diagram that describes the differences in each colorspace

https://www.colourmanagement.net/images/uploads/products/Colorspaces2.png

Thanks. I have a follow-up question but it is more of a workflow question so I'll post it as a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back