• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Sometimes Import 'Move' brings back errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spikey_dave

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Am importing files (reorganising) from one external hard drive to another. I import folders that contain 1 shoot and very occasionally I get an error message when Importing certain folders (using IMPORT>MOVE):

Could not move to the destination folder because it is not writable or there is not enough free space

Both are SSD's (Samsung T5) FAT32 format
using iMAC 27 Inch late 2105n with latest Big Sur

Workaround:
1. Copy files and then delete from original SSD
2. Copy as DNG (I'm reluctant to do that after reading pros and cons)

Using the copy option works fine but it's bugging me why this is happening ... 99% of all photos work with MOVE yet some folders give the error above - this is not a space issue as both SSD have more than 300gb free, it doesn't appear to be a permissions issues as both SSDs and folders, sub folders, and files have read & write permissions???

Has anyone come across this.

FYI once the migration is complete I will reformat the main SSD where I will store photos to the MAC file format and stop using FAT32 as some have pointed out that this is more stable.
Thanks in advance for any help shared

Could not move to the destination folder because it is not writable or there is not enough free space
This is a valid message for one of two reasons. A MOVE operation is two steps (COPY to the new volume, followed by a DELETE in the old volume) Lightroom can use a third volume (MacIntosh HD) as a temporary file location in Working Storage. If you do not have enough free space in Working storage, you can get this error. So, you need enough space on the destination volume to contain the files being Moved (Copied). You need enough space in Working Storage for the temporary files that Lightroom creates. (Sometimes Lightroom or other apps using temporary file in working storage do not free up the storage used until you exit the app.)

The Destination folder or one of the other folders involved may not have the necessary permissions. With Big Sur. Apple changed how file security is managed and this can bite you occasionally. In system Preferences under Security & Privacy/Privacy/Files and Folders, Make sure the Lightroom App has access to all of the volumes and folders.

This is a valid message for one of two reasons. A MOVE operation is two steps (COPY to the new volume, followed by a DELETE in the old volume) Lightroom can use a third volume (MacIntosh HD) as a temporary file location in Working Storage. If you do not have enough free space in Working storage, you can get this error. So, you need enough space on the destination volume to contain the files being Moved (Copied). You need enough space in Working Storage for the temporary files that Lightroom creates. (Sometimes Lightroom or other apps using temporary file in working storage do not free up the storage used until you exit the app.)

The Destination folder or one of the other folders involved may not have the necessary permissions. With Big Sur. Apple changed how file security is managed and this can bite you occasionally. In system Preferences under Security & Privacy/Privacy/Files and Folders, Make sure the Lightroom App has access to all of the volumes and folders.
glee,

Thanks for taking the time to reply... I understand your message and you put things clearly, but I don't think it applies here.
In system Preferences under Security & Privacy/Privacy/Files and Folders, Make sure the Lightroom App has access to all of the volumes and folders.
Lightroom already had access to all volumes and folders

I have ample space on all three drives - old volume, Mac hard drive, and destination folder - all have read and write access.

Most importantly, I can move a files of RAW (,Cr2) photos perfectly and then a minute or so later one folder won't MOVE, I'll get the error message, it's infrequent and very random. I don't have other programs running and I make sure that current imports have finished and previews are written before attempting the next import...

I'm baffled. I've checked the photos in the folders that get the error message and opens with DPP no problem, I've even checked individual file permissions one by one. ???

The items that I suggests to check are the ones that are most likely. If you have checked those, then I might suspect a bug, but no others that I am aware of are reporting this.

Am importing files (reorganising) from one external hard drive to another.
How are the EHDs connected to the iMac? Have you tried importing using the Add option and them moving to a different volume using the Lightroom Classic folder? Why are the volumes formatted using FAT32?

When you say "reorganizing", Have these files been imported before?

The items that I suggests to check are the ones that are most likely. If you have checked those, then I might suspect a bug, but no others that I am aware of are reporting this.

How are the EHDs connected to the iMac? Have you tried importing using the Add option and them moving to a different volume using the Lightroom Classic folder? Why are the volumes formatted using FAT32?

When you say "reorganizing", Have these files been imported before?
Hi, EHDs are connected via USB 3, they're SSD's and fast, my internal hard drive is also a SSD.
I haven't tried ADD and then moving them - don't see the point when copy works when i get the error message
No these files haven't been imported before. I've got files from all different sources (including windows machines, phones etc. hence FAT32) on to the source EHD and figured continuing with FAT32 on the destination EHD made sense - although now I'm thinking of reformatting the destination EHD to MAC friendlier format as others on the forum have recommended that.
Thanks again for your continuing help ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back