• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • You may have noticed this website was offline on Saturday 22nd September. Our web host suffered what is known as "a perfect storm". Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. As a result of restoring backups, we appear to have lost about 18 hours of posts, but hopefully nothing more. If your post seems to have been affected, please do repost, and we look forward to helping. If you have any questions, you're welcome to use the Contact Webmaster link on the page footer.
  • Lightroom Classic 7.5 and Lightroom CC 1.5 have just gone live, and there's some exciting mobile updates to follow. And the big news... my Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro book has just been released too!

Some presets transferred from old computer not showing in Lightroom

whit0214

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version
Lightroom 5.7.1
Operating System
macOS 10.12 Sierra
I recently upgraded from a PC laptop to an iMac. I transferred my Lightroom (5.7.1) presets to the new folder location and restarted my Lightroom (and computer). Some of the newly transferred presets are now showing in Lightroom, but some are not. They are in the same folder with the same xx.lrtemplate names. I can't figure out why some are showing from this transfer and some aren't. I have tried to move the ones not showing into the main Develop Presets folder from the subfolder and that's not working either. Some of the presets were created by me on my other computer and some were downloaded.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Hi whit0214, welcome to the forum! Are you still using LR 5.7.1 on the new computer, as well as the old one? Where exactly did you put them?

whit0214

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Yes the same version of LR is being used on both computers. I put the presets in the Lightroom Settings>Develop Presets folder and restarted Lightroom. Attached is a screenshot of some appearing and some not appearing from the same transfer (Ive not created or downloaded any presets to Lightroom since using Lightroom on my iMac, so all were created and first downloaded on my PC). The examples are all expanded folders and shows some appearing and some not.

Thank you!

Attachments

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
That is a proper mystery! Have you checked the file permissions for those presets and their folders (in right-click > Get Info)?

whit0214

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
That is a proper mystery! Have you checked the file permissions for those presets and their folders (in right-click > Get Info)?
Yes, my user has permission to read and write for the folders and the individual presets themselves. Ive even tried to move the presets from the folder and they still don't show up.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Ok, what happens if you try to import them through the presets panel, instead of just placing them in the folder? We're down to long shots here! ;)

whit0214

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
When I try to import via Lightroom, I get an error that says "Error importing "[insert name of preset xx.lrtemplate]". The preset file was the wrong type of preset.

But I tried to import a preset that was already imported with the same type of file name and it imported properly. The one in my example that did not work is named Black & White Portraits - On the Beach.lrtemplate (though I also tried simpler names such as Antiqued.lrtemplate and it does not work.

One I tried that did work is named Winter Haze.lrtemplate

They have the same .lrtemplate file names so Im not sure why it's not working? Also Attached is a screenshot of the info of one of the presets Im trying to import.

Attachments

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Hi whit0214, sorry I've been offline the last couple of weeks. If you'd like to email me one of the presets to [email protected], I'll see if I can figure out what's up.