• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Some originals being stored locally but setting is not to store originals locally

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebore

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
The Local Storage preference settings on my iMac is as attached. Local storage of Originals is unchecked. Note that the location for local storage is shown as an external drive called "Photos" which is unsurprisingly greyed out.

Screenshot 2019-06-29 at 10.42.50.png

But if I look at "Photos", there is a folder called "Lightroom CC" as:

Screenshot 2019-06-29 at 10.43.50.png

The size of this folder of originals is 5.71GB.

My understanding is that Lightroom stores originals locally temporarily if for some reason it is unable to upload to the cloud. Then when it is able to, it uploads them and deletes the temporary local copies.

If so this 5.7GB of originals, covering various dates between 2009 and 2019 should not be there. How can I check if they are on the Cloud? and can I delete these apparently orphaned local originals?

Thanks

My understanding is that Lightroom stores originals locally temporarily if for some reason it is unable to upload to the cloud. Then when it is able to, it uploads them and deletes the temporary local copies.
Your understanding isn't quite correct. Lightroom always stores new imports locally, pending their subsequent upload to the cloud. Once uploaded, they become eligible for local deletion, but when that deletion occurs depends on various factors, one of which is the amount of free space on the drive. So if there's a lot of free space you can expect to see those local originals hanging around for quite some time. Which makes sense, especially for recent imports as it's not unreasonable to expect those to be edited at some ;point, which requires the original locally.....so why delete it quickly if there's no pressure on the drive space?

Thanks very much Jim, that makes sense. What doesn't makes sense (but doesn't matter greatly) is why these particular photos should be the ones in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back