• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

[SOLUTION] Fix the Open File Security Warning when invoking PS from LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samoreen

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi,

After installing version 10, Windows has started to systematically open the "Open File Security Warning" dialog whenever I tried to Edit in... Photoshop CC from LR. Which is rather annoying since the option allowing to permanently disable the warning for that executable no longer exists.

A solution for those who are hit by this issue...

It is possible to disable the security warning globally (Internet Options | Security | Internet | Custom level | Miscellaneous | Launching applications and unsafe files (enable) ). This works but Windows 10 will now start to systematically warn you that your system is at risk. Kind of a chicken/egg - hair pulling - chicken plucking problem. Microsoft are very good at inventing such things.

There's a better solution although it can be considered unsafe by some users.
  1. Launch REGEDIT or any other registry editor.
  2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations.
  3. If the string value LowRiskFileTypes for that key doesn't exist, create it.
  4. Set it to ".exe;.bat;.cmd;.vbs" without the quotes.
  5. Logoff and login again.
You'll no longer be bothered with these annoying and somehow useless warnings when trying to execute a program or a script downloaded from the Internet. I do not consider this as unsafe if you have a good antivirus software running on your system.

However, I think there's something wrong with the CC installer. I didn't have this issue when launching PS directly, only from LR.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing Patrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back