• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again and there's some big feature improvements as well as new lenses and bug fixes! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Soft proofing

Rob26

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic 11.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Help I think I am going mad.Over the last few weeks I have been soft proofing some photos to include in a Photo Book I wish to produce.
I would select the photo in Lightroom click the small square button in Dev Module and commence the proofing process then save and export the pict to a file ready to use in the photo book software. All good.
Today I decided to continue, but search as much as I could I could no longer find the small square, it has simply gone. The Dev module has changed and now all I get is a large image but none of the tools display.
After some investigation I found that by pressing S I could enter the Soft Proof Mode.

But where has the little square gone? Also the before/After view has gone I have done nothing to Lightroom. But did update Mac OS to 12.3.1 so has the operating system upgrade changed something.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
It sounds like you have hidden the tool bar. Type 't' to bring it back.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Probably you hit 't' sometime without noticing. It's easy to do.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
One big tip to keep in mind is that if you lose something on the screen, you can get to almost everything in Lightroom Classic from the menus.

If you lose the toolbar and can’t remember the key to press, it’s under View > Show Toolbar.
Before/After and Soft Proofing are also on the View menu.
And their keyboard shortcuts are shown next to the commands.

Lightroom-Classic-toolbar-and-soft-proof-commands.gif