Soft proofing and external editors

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
The file that comes back fro PS needs to be softproofed in Ps before it comes back to LrC. If it is not Softproofed in PS, it needs to be Softproofed in LrC before is it sent to the printer.
IOW don’t Softproof before sending to PS. But in PS or on the file returned from PS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
A soft proof is valid only for the exact printing conditions you soft-proofed it for, so in theory you should not have to soft-proof it again in Photoshop if you have set up Photoshop printing with every printing option set exactly the same way as Lightroom Classic, in both the Photoshop print dialog box and in the printer driver software (Page Setup). If any option in those two locations is different than the Soft Proof options were in Lightroom Classic, then you should definitely soft-proof in Photoshop to make sure it will still print as expected.

It’s still a good idea to check the soft-proof again in Photoshop in case there is a slight difference in how each printing engine handles your image, or to help discover if you forgot to set an option the same way as in Lightroom Classic.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
so in theory you should not have to soft-proof it again in Photoshop if you have set up Photoshop printing with every printing option set exactly the same way as Lightroom Classic,
If you soft proof in LrC and then generate an intermediate file for editing in Photoshop. Any changes that you make in Photoshop will alter the color, tone its in the file that is returned to LrC. It is this derivative file that need to be soft proofed since a new derivative export file will be generated from it.

Thank you both. So, the best thing to do is to soft proof in the application that you expect to print from. The soft proof function is easier in LR than PS, which is from where I generally do final edits and print....Any suggestions then on workflow - ie not soft proof as a copy in LR and edit the original file and then send it to PS, or just bag the effort in LR and struggle with the PS soft proof...Thank you so much...D.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
I do it in both because it’s easy in Lightroom Classic; if the edit passes the soft proof there, kick it over to Photoshop where after more edits, the soft proof will be checked again. In Photoshop, what saves a lot of time is using View > Proof Setup > Custom to save a soft proof preset that can be called up easily. Photoshop does not have virtual copies, so what I do is keep all printer-specific adjustment layers in a layer group that is enabled only when printing for a specific proof setup. That way the original image isn’t disturbed.

I just realized that more and more often lately, I skip the Photoshop soft proof entirely if I plan to print from Lightroom Classic. The reason this is doable is that the Photoshop version is also in the Lightroom Classic catalog. After editing the image in Photoshop, saving it updates it in Lightroom Classic, so I can just soft-proof that edited derivative in Lightroom Classic and not bother soft-proofing in Photoshop. Both applications are open, so if I see a soft proof problem in Lightroom Classic, I just switch over to Photoshop to fix it, save, and check again in Lightroom Classic.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Thank you both. So, the best thing to do is to soft proof in the application that you expect to print from.
That makes the most sense. The color adjustments need to be made in the file that will be printed.

Perfect. Thank you both. Best solution then is to final edit in PS, send back to LR to soft proof the file and print from LRC. My personal problem is that I could never get used to the print module in LRC, so used to PS.