• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

So Frustrated w/ Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrdavie

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have been a proponent of Lightroom but I am so frustrated I am about to cancel my subscription and go to a different processing application. I got a new, powerful computer several months ago. Now between Dell, Microsoft and Adobe I’m the little consumer guy with software issues and no advocates at these big corporations. Importing images is hit and miss. Sometimes it’s flawless. Sometimes I have to shut everything down and reboot my computer. I’m tired of this. I want to do art not spend my time in a spiral trying to solve technical issues.

One more to rule out - there's some reports of conflicts with Acronis Active Protection on Windows recently.
Windows Defender and Malwarebytes are the only protection apps running on my Windows 10 computer. Thanks for the attention. Oh, but I could disable my Malwarebytes and see if that helps.

Copying them to disk from the card may be the best.

Also, if you can, turn off an anti-virus software to see if it's preventing

Q: Do you see the devices in Windows Explorer when LR can't get at it?
Q: What happens when you first insert the card? Does it open File Explorer?

Check Importing from a Card Reader

You may want to check what the AUTO PLAY settings are CONTROL PANEL->AUTOPLAY. It may be that your memory card is causing a secondary program to run. Here's an example screen shot. Try turning off 'Use Auto Play for all media and devices"

View attachment 13569

Finally, here is something else to check Windows 10 Autoplay not working

I am also not a big fan of W10 and have been caught between Adobe and Epson as a consumer in the past
I think the malware program may be the key. I will test that some more. I did not read your post until I read Victoria Bampton's post regarding potential conflict with another malware program on Windows. I just quit Malwarebytes on my system and did two successful imports of photos FROM the SD card plugged into the computer's SD slot, AND I checked the Lightroom import option to eject the card after import. So, Adobe certainly programs their Windows version to be robust and to work with SC Cards, etc. I really do not want to be forced to copy to the computer before importing. Technology is supposed to allow us to take as few steps to get from point A to point B. And finally, I will probably delete the images of my knees, ceiling fan and file cabinet taken to test the import process. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Technology is supposed to allow us to take as few steps to get from point A to point B.
True, but because of black hats out there, you need border agents in place to ensure your system stays safe. The Zen of this could be to put in your SD then wait till Explorer will show you a list of images before you try to get LR to import them.

I think the malware program may be the key. ...

Just fyi - I run a Windows 10 pc with Malwarebytes Premium and Windows Defender active. I download from a usb3 Kingston card reader with no problems.

Jim

Intrigued by the “It Just Works” tag line and having an IPhone and an iPad, I got a Mac computer.
It’s not perfect, but the hardware is standardized by ONE manufacturer AND Apple controls both hardware and operating system software. It appears that Adobe has an easier time testing and implementing updates on the Mac platform that it does with many Windows hardware configurations and many different often incompatible hardware combinations.
Oh I wish 'It just works' was true. The advertising standards authority here in the UK should have slapped their wrists re that dubious claim.
As a long time Mac user and 11 odd years as owner and nearly 15+ on PCs, I wished that Apple were in fact magically better. Sadly not. Just as many issues, just different ones. Just look at the amount of updates/bug fixes from Apple themselves for their own software. I was advised by an Apple Genius to never upgrade to a new OS until at least bug fix 4 or 5. I usually only update when I have to and skip every other version of OSX at least. I haven't dared update my phone to the latest iOS it's been so very buggy and when my new 16" arrives later this week, I may downgrade it from Catalina to Mojave due to the usual issues when using a recent update. I also avoid Mac software where I can due to it being rather rubbish and buggy.

As for LR, it's become increasingly painful to use over last year or so with numerous bugs, glitches and issues. I shall be doing a fresh install of everything on the new MBP and start completely from scratch to see if I can see if the bugs are Adobe or Apple's fault or better yet eliminated with a fresh start and no other apps on machine.

Another vote for copy from card to disk first. Same disk as you keep your LR images on, otherwise it has to be copied again between disks and increased likelihood of data errors compared to moving them on same disk.
I always then check all data is same on both card/HD before then importing to LR.

Oh I wish 'It just works' was true.
I don't think Apple uses that tag line any more.

I don't remember having any performance issues with Lightroom when I ran it with Windows.. However, I considered myself more knowledgable than most about how the Windows OS needed to interact with it components. And I spent a lot of time "under the hood" keeping Windows running at it most efficient. By removing "bloatware" and startup helper apps from the computer, I was able to keep Windows running efficiently.
To keep Windows running at its best requires a lot of diligence and contstant tweaking. When Windows was no longer an essential part of my work life (I retired), I looked to Apple for a standardized hardware/software environment. By not implementing a resident 3rd party anti-malware app, I saved myself a lot of grief by getting that component out of the workflow. Admittedly, I knew more about Windows and LINUX when I switched to a Mac, but I'm a fast learner and there was less to know to get up to speed on a Mac.
When I used Windows, I always delay updating the OS until at least the "dot one" release. I found this was not necessary with the Mac. The new OS was pretested against a standard set of hardware (the same hardware that I owned) . While usually, an early adopter when Apple upgrades the OS, I did delay on this one simply because it coincided with a new update to the Lightroom family. Adobe always has issues when a new release comes out. Sometimes these are major snafus. Most of the Lightroom bugs are IMO the result of poor testing and abandonment of the Beta Preview rollout that used to happen in earlier versions of Lightroom.

You are correct that no OS is bug free. However POSIX compliant OSes tend to be more stable and less delicate.

I have stopped using a card reader when I import photos to Mac from my cameras. Instead I use Apples Image capture with a cable between my camera (with micro USB or USB-C depending on which camera I use). Image Capture works very well and let me decide where I want to save the photos.

Mac or PC?
I worked professionally with PCs and hated every minute of it. As clee01! pointed out, it´s a pain to work with computers where no one controls how hardware and software work together.
Privately I started early with Apple since the ][e up to the MacMini 2018 I use today.

Though.... I must add that the quality of Apple software has deteriorated by sloppy programming and quality control the last few years.
Even so - I stay with Mac and I have used Lightroom since version 1.0 and it has never crashed - not once!

My catalog contains 182,000 images. Some 90% of them was imported by means of a card reader, either by Aperture (before I moved to Lightroom) or by Lightroom. Never had any problem at all.

I can´t say that my card reader(s) have been flawless - but mostly they worked OK, though.

I just find it simpler to connect a cable for downloading, than messing around with the memory card and a reader..... which also needs to be connected via a cable to the computer- at least with todays Macs that has no built-in reader.
When I have finished transferring the photos - if needed, I leave the same cable connected (with the camera off) and the camera gets charged - a bonus!

Both my main cameras nowadays (Sony RX1 and Nikon Z50) works OK with this method for downloading and charging with my MacMinis.

Last edited:
I don't think Apple uses that tag line any more.
Yet you used it.
Hence my reply regarding that myth.

I always delay updating the OS until at least the "dot one" release. I found this was not necessary with the Mac. The new OS was pretested against a standard set of hardware (the same hardware that I owned) . While usually, an early adopter when Apple upgrades the OS, I did delay on this one simply because it coincided with a new update to the Lightroom family. Adobe always has issues when a new release comes out. Sometimes these are major snafus. Most of the Lightroom bugs are IMO the result of poor testing and abandonment of the Beta Preview rollout that used to happen in earlier versions of Lightroom.
You are correct that no OS is bug free. However POSIX compliant OSes tend to be more stable and less delicate.
I've used both systems for very many years and despite the fact that Apple software is designed for a handful of Apple computers, there seems to no practical differnce regarding bug issues.
With every Mac release, those who use their computers/phones etc for work wait for the various bugs to be sorted out. iOS 13 was so very bad the first bug fix came out almost as soon as it was released and is still iffy, so I'm staying on iOS 12 until it is definitively safe.
As I also said I was advised by Apple technicians themselves to do just that, wait for 4-5 bug fixes before updating, if at all. Advice repeated to me many times over the years by Apple staff and evidenced as being sensible by the inevitable issues that affect a whole host of software companies for the first few bug fix updates. Apple keeping stuff secret means 3rd party companies don't get software for testing before we do. One time Adobe were absolutely slammed for not updating PS on the Mac, when the real reason was that Apple told everyone they were supporting a new form of OSX and then late in the day changed their mind, so everything needed recoding from scratch. This was the Carbon/Cocoa debacle. Every year most music software compares strongly advise against updating to new versions of OSX until the inevitable bugs are definitively squashed. I currently can't use Apple mail because of a recurrent and long standing bug.

It all depends on your workflow and your equipment. I often use three or four cameras for the same shoot. That makes it a lot easier to use one card reader of all of them, then to change connections four times. And my Canon EOS-1D X cameras cannot be charged by USB anyway.

Import from sad card worked flawlessly with malware program closed. We’ll see over time if this was the culprit.

When I have comp issues and call support and they have problems figuring it out they ask about any virus/malware software I may be running.

Thanks for your comment. Someone had suggested scanning for malware (as the potential cause). But, the idea of exposing the computer to malware attack by terminating the malware program, was not suggested. Of course, if this proves to be the solution, I have no problem terminating the application long enough to import images from the SD card in my own camera.

Thanks for your comment. Someone had suggested scanning for malware (as the potential cause). But, the idea of exposing the computer to malware attack by terminating the malware program, was not suggested. Of course, if this proves to be the solution, I have no problem terminating the application long enough to import images from the SD card in my own camera.

Another option is to set the anti malware app to ignore scanning the files off of the image card. That way it can protect everything else and you can be certain that your image file shot with your camera won’t contain malware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ll look into that. Not sure the software is that nuanced.

I would check to see if you can find an active window where the Malware or Anti-Virus is scanning the SD. Check your settings. If you can get a window to appear, you may have the option of canceling the scan.

You may want to take a Zen moment and see long it is until the Malware/Anti-Virus finishes.

Of course, maybe your SD card has a virus ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back