• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Smugmug publish issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodbutcher

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 8.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I'm having issues in the last two days. Current Lightroom Classic, Mac OS 10.14.6 (same thing on two machines).

I try to create a new gallery, which does appear on Smugmug. However when I try and add any images and publish it gives me a pop up saying the gallery already exists and asks if I want to update it or create a new one. This is new behavior and whichever I choose, the images fail to publish to Smugmug. And I've checked Digitial Grin in the SM support area and haven't seen others commenting. I'll be working with their support next, but figured I'd check here too.

In trying to diagnose it, I find that I can add images to any already existing gallery. However, I noticed that I needed to sync my gallery and folder structure because one that was created on my other machine wasn't on my desktop. This is normal, but usually the sync comes right back and shows the gallery and/or folder. Now it completes, but doesn't detect the missing gallery/folder. So obviously something isn't syncing. I've checked and plug in is up to date. Reauthorized with Smugmug. Turned on logging in the plug in. Nothing obvious to me there.

I'll get Smugmug to help me, but was just curious if I'm the only one or if others have seen this. I'm pretty this is the first time I've added a gallery since the latest LR update. I know I've added pictures to existing galleries since the update though.

Sort of made some progress on my own. For testing, I downgraded the LR on my laptop to 8.3.1 (previous version) and Smugmug plugin works normally. So it is going to be one of those things where the plugin needs to be updated by Smugmug. Now the question is whether to be patient or downgrade the desktop too.

Hope this helps others.

I'm on 3.1.6.0 which is 1 or 2 old, but I created a new folder and a new gallery using the plugin on Tuesday, and uploaded, and it all worked fine.

But I know Smugmug is trying to implement more two way sync with the plugin (which to me is terrifying as last thing I want is for Smugmug mistakes to download to my lightroom), so it would not surprise me if something with sync is broken, especially if you are syncing to two different computers (another scary thought).

Postscript: We overlapped a bit, but I am running the latest Lightroom without issues on 3.1.6.0. I also pulled up the release notes for 3.1.8.0, but ... well, the latest note is for 3.1.6.0 even though it's inside the 3.1.8.0 file. Sigh.

Interesting, on the Smugmug website, 3.1.6.0 is what is available to download. On the Adobe CC downloads it is version 3.1.3.

I tried rolling SM plugin back to 3.1.6.0 and no joy. I let it update back to 3.1.8.0 and still the same issue. I see you are on Windows. I wonder if there is something there that makes the plugin act differently.

Oh well, I know how to make things work so it isn't the end of the world. I'm going to report it to Smugmug and let them chase it.

Windows: Maybe. My guess is something is confused with your multiple syncs (I am not saying that you should not be able to do that, I am just guessing that is more of a niche case and so maybe more error prone).

I always update the web site from lightroom, and it has been years since I have done any kind of sync (and now am afraid of doing so, frankly). So I am perhaps different in that way also.

I'm doing a soccer shoot tonight and will create another gallery and push photos up, and see if anything unusual happens. I'm torn whether to update to 3.1.8.0 or not.

Ask Smugmug -- maybe even in DGrin, or directly to [email protected]. The guy who did this last time I checked (David Parry) was quite responsive if you can get through the first level support to reach him. Though it's been 2+ years since we corresponded so not even sure if he is there still.

The multiple syncs are seldom. I only do that when I travel and upload from the laptop and then sync to the desktop when I get home. After that, the laptop doesn't change Smugmug. It is a fairly normal process and Smugmug even has some references on their site to syncing LR to match the web.

but it is all conjecture until I get an answer from SM, if they even tell me what is wrong. I'm working fine on LR Classic 8.3.1 right now on the desktop.

I agree it should work. Please do follow up if you get an answer. I really doubt it is the LR version itself. Maybe, but I have not heard or seen any issues specific to 8.4 and Smugmug, but it's always possible.

Well, interestingly enough, since my laptop wasn't optional for posting to Smugmug I went ahead an upgraded it back to LR 8.4 and Smugmug still worked. So I upgraded my desktop back and Smugmug still didn't work. So I started comparing other active plugins. Found Jeffery Friedl one that I had loaded to test, but never registered. It needed updating. As soon as I updated it, I could use the Smugmug plugin normally. Which is very odd since it wasn't the JF smugmug plugin, but the one for adjusting develop parameters. And it isn't on my laptop, so I have no idea why that started working on it after a downgrade and reupgrade of LR.

Anyway, I'm back functional again., but not totally confident I fixed anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back