• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

SmugMug plugin appears to truncate Titles over 64 characters in length

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
Operating System
macOS 10.14 Mojave
I've just discovered that Titles over 64 characters in length are being truncated when the images are uploaded to SmugMug via the LR plugin written/provided by SmugMug.

LR, of course, allows longer Titles, and if I enter (or edit) a Title using the SmugMug web interface, the Title can also be longer than 64 characters.

I contacted SM support, and they say that Titles up to 100 characters should display just fine (but, depending on the viewing context, might have a "..." added at the end indicating that part of the Title exists but is not showing in that context).

Have others noticed this issue?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I'm not seeing that.

I just uploaded one with 121 characters, and it's all there after I did the publish (first character in each set of 10 is a 10's count, e.g. 0223 near the end of the second line the first 2 is 120 characters, assuming I cut/pasted right).

longtitle.jpg

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
This is so odd. I'm not just looking on SmugMug at the Title in the Lightbox or in the gallery thumbs...I'm also going into the SmugMug editor and selecting "Title, Caption, and Keywords" so I can see what SmugMug actually has for the Title on its system, and the Title as shown in LR is truncated at 64 characters.

I'm really not sure where to look next for what be causing this...but I'll keep hunting.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I notice you are on Mac. That's grasping at straws, but the only thing I can think of. Since plugins are lua they should be device independent, so it shouldn't relate.

Hmmm... I just had a thought... (time is passing...).... I realized I had one huge word so I put in a bunch of spaces, it still worked fine. Sorry, I'm drawing a blank why yours would be different.

One thing to try. Export the image as a JPG, then manually upload using the web option. That takes the plugin out of the picture.

Woodbutcher

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I'm on a Mac. LR 9.2, latest SM plugin. OS is Mojave, not Catalina. Just uploaded this image: This is a very long title about the screech owl that lives in my back yard. He flies out at night, but before he does, he trills for his mate to show up. which has a very long title, well over 100 characters. In the Gallery view it only shows some of the title with ... at the end, implying more. It does that when I hover over it in the gallery view. When I click on the image, the title shows at the bottom, but the number of characters varies by how big the window is. To see the full title, I have to click on the Info button. At which time, I can see the whole title.

Interesting. The link I posted shows the title here in my post. The post editor must be retrieving it.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I.e. is this simply a formatting issue not a data issue?
No, I don't think so. That's the first thing that occurred to me, so I went into the Editor in SmugMug and clicked on "Title, Caption, and Keywords" (where one can edit directly the Title, Caption, and Keywords, logically enough) so I could see what SmugMug actually has for the Title on its system (as opposed to what it might display in a given context), and the Title as entered in LR is truncated at 64 characters.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
OK, so I created a new catalog and used the same test pictures as before, and this time the Title was uploaded correctly at full length.

So, I then went back to my old catalog and changed the Title in one of the test pictures by deleting one character (making it 74 instead of 75 characters long), and republished that one photo, and this time the Title "took" all 74 characters.

So, it appears to be "fixed." But I put this in quotes because I had tested a number of images earlier in the day and changed the length of their Titles, and republished them, but any Title with more than 64 characters had its Title truncated. Photos not previously in the Publish Collection that were added with Titles > 64 characters also had their Titles truncated. This testing took place over about a 3 hour period.

So, I can only chalk it up to a weird gremlin. I'll keep an eye on things moving forward, but for now, things seem to be OK.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I wrote to SmugMug support earlier in the day (after learning that Ferguson wasn't seeing the same thing, and I received this reply:

...we recently (earlier this evening) pushed out a fix for a separate issue with creating galleries in the Lightroom Publisher - so I wonder if this fixed the odd issue with the titles being truncated.

Woodbutcher

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Well, at least it is working now. Funny on the timing that we were trying to recreate the problem right after they accidentally fixed it.