• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Lightroom Classic 8.0 and Lightroom CC 2.0 (desktop) and Lightroom CC 4.0 (mobile) have just gone live. My books are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom CC desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.

Smoothing skin when shooting raw

LRussoPhoto

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Im using lightroom classic cc on an iMac. I usually use noise reduction to help smooth out skin....If there is a better way please advise.
Anyway, Ive noticed that when shooting raw adding noise reduction have barely any noticeable affect even when adding 100%. But if I shoot in a jpeg format, it has a huge affect. Why is that? Is there a better way to smooth/soften skin.
Actually it seems like i have to drag the sliders much more when shooting raw as opposed to jpeg, what's the reason?
Thanks for the help.

Paul McFarlane

Photoshop Services
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Totally agree with the above, negative clarity works well, especially as a local adjustment

raw vs jpg - the jpg files are already processed in-camera so will have some adjustments already applied, hence these are exaggerated more by a slider in LR than applying to a raw file (effectively) - this is why, for example, LR automatically applies some sharpness (40) to raw and not jpg

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
That is good to know. You can use the brush to bring sharpening back to eyes, etc.