• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Smart Previews vs 1:1 Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gordon

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 9.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Recently I took my laptop away and while disconnected from my originals needed to look at some pictures from a few years ago. I didn't have any previews for these so I've been reading all the references to all the different types of Preview in my copy of "The Missing FAQ".

I think I can/should build 1:1 Previews and set my Preference so they are never deleted. This will use up a lot of hard drive space but I have it available and if space gets tight I can always discard the 1:1s. Now I'll always have a full size version available. But if I wanted to export any files I'd need Smart Previews. I thought about just building Smart Previews but they aren't actually full size so not so good for checking critical sharpness. To be honest I don't expect to have to export files while away from my 'originals' hard drive.

I'm assuming another advantage of 1:1 Previews will be quicker access when connected to my original hard drive, no need to build or rebuild the previews?

I was wondering what others who take laptops away do. Previews, 1:1 Previews, Smart Previews? Or both!?

Thanks!

It depends on what you need to do while you're away. There's a table on page 421 that shows which tasks need Standard/1:1 previews and which need smart previews. If I'm going away, small standard previews of everything and smart previews of my best photos is plenty, but then, I'm not generally needing to actually do anything with the photos.

I'm assuming another advantage of 1:1 Previews will be quicker access when connected to my original hard drive, no need to build or rebuild the previews?
Quicker to zoom in Library module, yes. As long as you haven't edited the photo, as that 1:1 preview would then need regenerating.

David, Just a thought Lightroom Classic uses previews to display images in the Library Module while the Develop Module requires Original files or Smart-previews to function. I am not sure the Develop Module will function with Preview file.
Maybe you do a test before you travel.

It depends on what you need to do while you're away.
Recently I was at a location I'd photographed before, I remembered the pictures and went to look at them in LR... So it's mostly looking at pictures rather than any processing or working with metadata.
As long as you haven't edited the photo, as that 1:1 preview would then need regenerating.
OK, I'm going to have to go and read again on when and how the 1:1s get rebuilt. Surely its automatic? Otherwise if a 1:1 is generated on import and I (say) change the colour balance from Daylight to Tungsten ...
I am not sure the Develop Module will function with Preview file.
I think that's correct, I'd need Smart Previews if I want to use Develop.

Thanks!

The word 'Preview' in 'Smart Preview' is misleading. Smart Previews have nothing to do with previews. A better name would have been 'Smart Proxies'.

OK, I'm going to have to go and read again on when and how the 1:1s get rebuilt. Surely its automatic? Otherwise if a 1:1 is generated on import and I (say) change the colour balance from Daylight to Tungsten ...
No, rebuilding 1:1 previews is not automatic, unless you zoom to 1:1 on an image that doesn't currently have a 1:1 preview. As soon as you make any develop edits to an image, any existing 1:1 preview is discarded (because it's now wrong), but a new updated standard preview will automatically be rebuilt the next time the image appears anywhere on screen in the Library module (i.e. Grid, Filmstrip, Loupe).

No, rebuilding 1:1 previews is not automatic
Jings, its got all complicated! Actually I wonder if this explains why sometimes when zooming in to 100% the image pops up without delay and other times it take a couple of seconds and the 'loading' alert comes up.

I'm sure I'll never remember / can't be bothered recreating 1:1 previews everytime I make an edit. Maybe standard is the way to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back