• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Smart Previews and Mac HD System Space

vtanzi

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I selected to use Smart Previews--suddenly my Mac HD space became extremely low. It says my Mac System is taking up 740 GB? Is that possible? Any fixes?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi,

You probably do not need to use Smart Previews. Building them will use up quite a bit of additional disk space on the hard drive where you have your catalog. Smart Previews are primarily used when you want to be able to edit your images but not have to have the original files online. For example while traveling. They are effectively a compact duplicate of your original images.

You can see how much disk space is being consumed by your Smart Previews by opening the File Handling tab of your "Catalog Preferences". Accessible from the Lightroom menu.

To remove Smart Previews use the menu: Library->Previews->Remove Smart Previews...

You will need to select an appropriate source for example if you select "All Photgraphs" first this command will give you the option remove all the Smart Previews from all the images in the catalog. You can limit this by selecting smaller subsets from your Folders or Collections.

-louie

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Smart previews are only about 1 MB each, so I find it hard to believe they have anything to do with this problem. Do you use backup software like Apple Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner? That software can create a temporary backup file on your hard disk if the destination is unavailable.