• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalogs Smart Preview Catalog File

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSK

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System: MAC OS High Sierra
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Classic

Hello,
I'm in the process of moving my photos from an old external hard drive to a new one. I've been going through and creating Smart Previews for all the photos. When I check my catalog files on the drive, I see the main catalog.lrcat, previews.lrcat and smartpreviews.lrcat. However, the Smart Previews.lrcat does not show a current date, while the main catalog and previews catalogs do. How do I know the Smart Previews catalog is current? I double-checked the catalog name and location.

Thanks!
Scott

Just ignore it, it will be current. This is not really a file, but a so-called 'package'. That is a folder that looks like a file in the Finder and can be double clicked. The modification date of a package does not (always) reflect what happens inside this package.

Thanks Johan, much appreciated.

Once all my photos and catalog files are safely on the new external drive, my next action will be to unmount the drive and remount to my new iMac. Once I download LR to the new computer, do you know if LR will automatically show my photos - or will I have to somehow direct it to the new catalog and photo location?

You will have to start Lightroom with that catalog on the external disk. You can do that by double clicking the catalog file. You only have to do that once. After that, Lightroom will remember which catalog to use.

How do I know the Smart Previews catalog is current? I double-checked the catalog name and location.
It is not really a catalog FILE called Smart Previews.lrcat, it is a folder of many sub folders and an index file. The folder name is "Smart Previews.lrdata" These special folders are called packages and you can right click on the "package" and choose "Show package contents" to drill down into the sub folder to find your smart previews image files. The date shown is the date when this package outer folder envelope was created. Newer folders inside will show near create dates.

Reactions: RSK
You will have to start Lightroom with that catalog on the external disk. You can do that by double clicking the catalog file. You only have to do that once. After that, Lightroom will remember which catalog to use.

Johan,
To clarify, once I connect the new external HD to my new iMac, I double-click the catalog file to open LR - even though the new computer was just set up and I don't have the LR app on it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back