• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! There's new Presets in all versions, Super Resolution on the desktop, new Sharing options and more. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

SMART COLLECTIONS

Rwentzel

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
LrC
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
In LrC I am creating Smart Collections.
One of my Smart Collection Sets is Mtunzini Village , the town where I live. All my photos of the town are now in this collection.
We have a popular bird in our area the Village Weaver. All photos of this bird are also in my Mtunzini Village smart collection set.
How do I set up my rules that these bird photos do not go to my Mtunzini Village smart collection set.?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Make the smart collection as follows (both should apply):
1: Keywords ends with 'Mtunzini Village'
2: Keywords starts with 'Mtunzini Village'

Solution
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
The problem as I see it is that you are allowed more than one keyword (phrase) per image. Using Johan's solution , the Smart Collection only works if the keyword phrase 'Mtunzini Village' is the only keyword phrase in the field.
the 'Village Weaver' bird could be found in 'Mtunzini Village' and both keyword phrases might be present for the same image.

The problem is the word 'Village' is contained in both keyword phrases making both true. Either of the following criteria should work
{keywords}{contains}{Mtunzini}. Will work as long as that are no other keyword phrases containing 'Mtunzini'
Another option :
{keywords}{contains all}{Mtunzini Village} This will find all image where the phrase 'Mtunzini Village' was assigned and exclude images that contain 'Village Weaver' unless the keyword field also contains 'Mtunzini'

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Sorry Cletus, but I don’t think you are correct. AFAIK, Keyword starts with and Keyword ends with applies to a single keyword or keyword phrase, not to the entire keywords field. I can’t check this right now because I am typing this on my iPad, but that would mean that my suggestion would also find an image that contains ‘Mtunzini Village’ as well as ’Village Weaver’, because ‘Mtunzini Village’ fits both criteria so the presence of other keywords is irrelevant.

Your suggestion also works, unless (like you said) there are also keywords like ‘Mtunzini River’, meaning you could have images with the keywords ’Mtunzini River’ and ‘Village Weaver’. My smart collection suggestion should still work correctly in that case, and not find these images.

Rwentzel

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Many thanks Johan and Cletus for your interest and solutions.
I recreated the rules as per Johan's initial advice and there are no longer any Village Weavers in my smart collection "Mtunzini Village."
Thanks.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Sorry Cletus, but I don’t think you are correct. AFAIK, Keyword starts with and Keyword ends with applies to a single keyword or keyword phrase, not to the entire keywords field.
The correct wording of the criteria is {keywords}{contains all}. not {keyword}{contains all}
But it turns out that we are both right. I assigned "Mtunzini Village" to 2 images and I assigned "Village Weaver" to one of those and another image. So Three images in total, "Mtunzini Village" assigned to two of them and "Village Weaver" assigned to two images
Your two criteria "Start With"and "Ends With" works as you suggested. However,
{keywords}{starts with}{Mtunzini Village} also works without the {ends with} clause.
My single criteria {Contains all} also works.
We both agree that :
{keywords}{contains}{Mtunzini} will only work if there are no keyword phrases like 'Mtunzini River'

It is only the {contains} clause that looks for keyword phrases that contain partial words:
{keywords}{contains}{Village Weaver}. returned images containing 'Village Weaver" and hundreds of images of a spider with the keyword 'Orbweaver'

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
However, {keywords}{starts with}{Mtunzini Village} also works without the {ends with} clause.
It does, but the second criterion is added to exclude something like "Mtunzini Village Road", which may be a road that leads to another village, or may even be the name of a road in another village. Or "Mtunzini Village Resort", which may actually be located outside of town, despite its name. If you want these images to be included (or you do not have keywords like that), then you can indeed use the 'starts with' criterion only.

My single criteria {Contains all} also works.
It does, but only if there is no possibility of having an image with 'Mtunzini River' and 'Village Weaver'.

We both agree that : {keywords}{contains}{Mtunzini} will only work if there are no keyword phrases like 'Mtunzini River'
We do, and that is why the 'starts with' and 'ends with' combo is such a great solution. That works in all cases, regardless of any other keywords or keyword phrases.

This is the whole "John Doe", "Jane Doe" and John Smith" conundrum all over again. For a long time, we thought that it would be impossible to setup a smart collection that searches for images of John Doe, if John is married to Jane and has a good friend called John Smith. The reason is that a simple {contains all} {John Doe} will also catch images of Jane Doe and John Smith (but without John Doe). You can't add {does not contain}{Jane} and {does not contain}{Smith} to solve this, because that will exclude all wedding pictures of John and Jane Doe, or all photos of the fishing trips that John Doe and John Smith regularly make. It will also exclude photos of all three together. So for many years we said that this was impossible because Lightroom does not search on keyword phrases but on single words in those phrases. Then, more or less by coincidence, we found it actually can be done: by using the {starts with}{John Doe} and {ends with}{John Doe} combination.

Rwentzel

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Another Smart Collection ,Key Word issue.
I have a smart collection for all my grandchildren.
The rule is Keywords; Contains: then I list their names.
One of them is Liam.
I now see included in this smart collection photos of a town Clan William.
What rule do I apply to not included the name William ?
Second question. Is there a way to arrange the order of photos in smart collections ?