• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Smart Collection within Folder excluding Sub-folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew NZ

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR11.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
As the title says, I am not finding a way to exclude subfolders, is this possible.

Cheers Andrew

Solution
Perhaps the easiest way to do this is to select the folder in the Folders panel, uncheck the menu item Library > Show Photos In Subfolders, and then run Any Filter > Filter or Any Filter > Search to search for photos with Cropped Megapixels > 1.5.

If you wanted to include a specific folder but exclude its subfolders in an Any Filter > Search query, you could do this with the "matches" operator, which is fussy to use. Here's an example that matches photos in the "test-pics" folder but excludes subfolders of "test-pics":

1641060399332.png

Except in special cases, I don't hardwire paths and folders into Any Filter searches or into smart collections -- this makes it easier to apply the search or smart collection to particular folders or...
I take it that you want to show just the images in a folder, but not in its subfolders. In the 'Library' menu, uncheck "Show Photos in Subfolders". Then you can select a folder in the folder panel to see just its contents.

Thanks for the very quick reply.

I want to create a smart collection which will have attributes eg >1.5Mp (or any others) and I want it confined to a folder (using Source) but not to subfolders of that folder.

Hal, (as I understand the question now) This does not work for a Smart Collection. A Smart Collection that looks at a 'Source' Folder will also show images in the sub-folders.
For sure someone will come up with a suggested plugin that does.

Rob,
I didn't understand the question either. Hence my answer.

Rather than using a smart collection, one could uncheck that menu item and then filter in Grid View for the attributes that he wants just within that folder.

John Ellis's AnyFilter plugin might do the trick, if grid view filters don't have everything needed.

OK thanks, it appears that apart from the last suggestion, which is cumbersome if there are multiple subfolders, the answer is no. I have John Ellis's AnyFilter plugin and can use that. It seemed like smart collections might be an easier option. The ordinary Filters search has limitations which Smart Collections do not have, for example, as in my example, filtering by Mpixels (eg in this folder and crop pixels >1.5Mp).

Cheers Andrew

Perhaps the easiest way to do this is to select the folder in the Folders panel, uncheck the menu item Library > Show Photos In Subfolders, and then run Any Filter > Filter or Any Filter > Search to search for photos with Cropped Megapixels > 1.5.

If you wanted to include a specific folder but exclude its subfolders in an Any Filter > Search query, you could do this with the "matches" operator, which is fussy to use. Here's an example that matches photos in the "test-pics" folder but excludes subfolders of "test-pics":

1641060399332.png

Except in special cases, I don't hardwire paths and folders into Any Filter searches or into smart collections -- this makes it easier to apply the search or smart collection to particular folders or collections or the entire catalog.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back