• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Smart Collection selecting months

Status
Not open for further replies.

thommy

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi

I'm trying to collect all my best (4-5 stars) of each month all years in a smart collection.
Tryed my best but failed - anyone have any ideas how to do it?
That is 12 collections - from "Best of January - all years" to "Best of December - all years".
If not possible - would there be any plugins that could do the trick?

Thommy

It’s possible, but takes quite a bit of work. Create a smart collection that uses ‘Any’ for the different criteria, then define a date range for each year, so for January you’ll have to use a range of 01 jan - 31 jan for each year in the catalog.

The ‘Any Filter’ plugin should be able to do this, but not as a smart collection. Any Filter Lightroom Plugin

ok, thanks a lot!!
But what about the star ratings 4 - 5?

Thommy

My Search and Replace plugin does it too, breaking out each bit of the time so you can filter/SC by month, day of month, hour, minute etc. You don't have to buy it to use this function.

I'm not sure how to do as you suggest Johan.
Would it be possible to send a screen shot whenever you have time?

John - I will look into your plugin. Might become handy for other things as well.

Thommy

It's a Swiss army knife, Thommy!

This shows how one can use the Refresh Workflow Filters command. Apart from the month, here I can see that 129 images don't yet have captions, and I can also filter by caption. Where you see "Autumn colours in Mane" twice, I am wondering why this should be, and I often find typos or errors by investigating further (though it may be that they are genuinely different captions that start the same). I can also see how many keywords I've entered, here telling me I've not keyworded enough, and even the total length of the export keywords (some stock agencies impose limits).

Update - to prove my point, just looking at the screenshot I noticed the misspelling "Borrwodale"

SNAG-0011.png
SNAG-0012.png

Last edited:
Thanks Johan!
The filtering is not a problem (yet). I can manage that.
I'm trying to create a smart collection/s or regular collection with my 4-5 rated images for each month/each year.
Or am I missing something?

Thommy

Thanks Johan!
The filtering is not a problem (yet). I can manage that.
I'm trying to create a smart collection/s or regular collection with my 4-5 rated images for each month/each year.
Or am I missing something?

Thommy
Seems you are indeed missing something. I didn't say anything about filtering. I said you can create a smart collection for that, but it's a bit cumbersome. Here's how it would look for January and the last three years. Note that you have to hold down the Alt-key when you click on the plus icon for the second criterium in order to get the extra option needed to split into an 'Any' and an 'All' part.

Lightroom.jpg

This is the equivalent using the plugin. And so on.

SNAG-0013.png

Seems you are indeed missing something. I didn't say anything about filtering. I said you can create a smart collection for that, but it's a bit cumbersome. Here's how it would look for January and the last three years. Note that you have to hold down the Alt-key when you click on the plus icon for the second criterium in order to get the extra option needed to split into an 'Any' and an 'All' part.

View attachment 12042
Great, Johan!
Exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks a lot for helping me.

Thommy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back