• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

Smart Collection Rule tripped by keyword "HeadDetail"

Kirby Krieger

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I posted this to another thread and got no response; I'm creating a new thread in the hope that someone can help me.

I have made some progress figuring this out. Originally I couldn't understand why the rule

(1) {Keywords}{ends with}{Detail}

produced results that were at odds with my photos.

The rule

(2) {Keywords}{ends with}{etail}

worked as expected.

I have narrowed this down the the two-letter combination "dD" in my keyword "HeadDetail". Photos with a keyword that ends "HeadDetail" are not included using Rule 1 above. Many other combinations of "xDetail" (where "x" is a letter other than "d") return the proper results.

When I change the keyword to "HeaDetail", it is found by Rule 1 above.
When I change the keyword to "HeadzDetail" it is found by Rule 1 above.
All of them are found by Rule 2 above.

I have, in the Edit Keyword Tag dialog, deleted all the characters and typed them back in. No change.

I have not done exhaustive tests. Afaict, the problem is limited to:
- the Rule "Keyword" with the condition "ends with", and
- keywords containing the sequence "dD".

I am new to Lightroom — please don't rule out any form of user error.

I'm stumped.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirby Krieger

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
UPDATE

The issue seems to be any double letter.

Tried with keywords TheEnd and BackKick. Rule 1 (see top post), modified for either of these, fails to find them.

Note that capitalization does not matter. Have also tried "Headdetail" and "Theend".

From my limited experience, this looks like an error in a RegEx.

Paul B

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
From my limited experience, this looks like an error in a RegEx.
I don't think it's a regex; that should be fairly trivial usage (though I can see why a regex sprang to mind).

But there certainly seems to be a bug there. I've done a simple test and get the same behaviour.

Kirby Krieger

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Yes, I can confirm this. Definitely a bug.
Paul and Johan — thank you very much .

I'm new to Lightroom. Can you point me to the steps I might climb to report and perhaps have this bug fixed?

Last edited by a moderator:

LouieSherwin

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7

jimburgess

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version

tspear

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Looking at the bug report, I would guess Adobe is using the soundex functionality in the database. As such, there is very limited options for Adobe to utilize.

Kirby Krieger

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Here's a thread from 2010
Thanks Jim for the link and for the advice. I'd estimate I've got 4 hours of trouble-shooting and 3 hours of working-around this bug already. More damaging than that cost is how worried I now am that I'll get bitten by more than another of these as I ramp up my use of Lightroom.

I added a comment with links (waiting for moderation) to that thread for those who might research the same issue.

Last edited:

Kirby Krieger

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Looking at the bug report
Thanks Tim.

Not being a programmer, the problem looks easy — or at least "not that hard" — to solve. O well.

Are bug reports available to the public?

Rikk Flohr filed a new bug report and let me know here.

tspear

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I was just looking at the threads Jim and Louie pointed too, plus my personal experience with soundex.
Note: I do not work for Adobe, just looking at the behavior and results I am making a guess.