• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

    To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 17 August 2022 It's Lightroom update time again and there's a couple of minor improvements as well as new cameras, lenses and bug fixes! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Smart collection query

ColMac9090

Active Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
234
Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
11.3.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a small number of Smart Collections to find people by surname from my many Genealogy images keyworded with peoples names. I do have a huge number of "name" keywords created in family name hierarchies.

So I might have

Smith >> Jones >> Adams etc all of whom would be captured by a search for Smith.

One collection example has a single condition
Keywords Contains words Bain
this returns all my people with "Bain" surnames plus those descended from Bains so they get included correctly by the hierarchy entry a total of 152 hits.

However if I create a new similar entry with exactly the same condition but the surname Rountree, I get 6,500 hits. Including hundreds of names that are not Rountree, nor do they have Rountree in the hierarchy. Rountree is one of my more common names so I might have expected 1000 hits, or maybe even more (I've no real idea), but not 6500 - particularly when so many are not valid. (I also tested duplicating the Bain Smart collection and just editing the surname) same result.

I don't understand why half a dozen smart collections work as expected, but an identical one with just a different condition word should perform so differently.

Any suggestions as to what might be happening here?

Thanks

Colin
 
Joined
May 9, 2015
Messages
1,282
Location
Palo Alto, CA
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
I've had the same delema from time to time. The answer (so far) has always been that some other keyword hierarchy, not on my radar at the time, had those words. For example, perhaps you have a keyword like "Slide schans from Fred Rountree". Also take a look at synonyms.

Make sure your smart collection is looking at Keywords (not "any searchable metadata"), and you can also make use of "Contains Words" rather than "Contains" or "Contains all"

Sometimes you really have to be Sherlock Holms to figure out what the problem is.
 

ColMac9090

Active Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
234
Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I've had the same delema from time to time. The answer (so far) has always been that some other keyword hierarchy, not on my radar at the time, had those words. For example, perhaps you have a keyword like "Slide schans from Fred Rountree". Also take a look at synonyms.

Make sure your smart collection is looking at Keywords (not "any searchable metadata"), and you can also make use of "Contains Words" rather than "Contains" or "Contains all"

Sometimes you really have to be Sherlock Holms to figure out what the problem is.
Thanks for the help. This didn't solve the problem directly, but it did prompt me to look at synonyms. Again this wasn't in fact the solution, but while looking at the synonyms I found a huge batch of names that had been buried (wrongly) deep deep in my Rountree hierarchy. I moved them to the correct location, and instantly lost over 3000 keywords.

So thanks, you most definitely pointed me to the solution.
 
Top