• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Smart collection by GPS coordinates; request it from Adobe

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob211

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I had occasion to use Aperture and I ran across a feature I used there, but cannot seem to replicate in Lr.

When viewing a map, in Aperture you can select the images shown on the current map view and create a smart album for that area, say a park. So any images you geolocate to that same spot will dynamically be added to the album, which of course is available elsewhere in Aperture.

In Lr, you can save MAP locations, like the same area of park. Of course in Map module it shows all the images in that park. But once OUT of the Map view, you can't find the images unless you create a collection from them...but here's the rub: it's a static collection, not a dynamic smart one. What I'd like is a smart collection that would update with every image I geolocate to the park. I could go back to map, use the saved location feature, and add the new images to the collection. But a smart one would be nicer, as in Aperture.

Anyone know how to do this? I can use Jeffrey Friedl's Geocoding plugin to do a proximity search having selected one of the images in the park, but that's still more steps.

It's not available in Smart Collections, but it is in the Metadata Filters (just select All Photos first). That's quicker than selecting All Photos, switching to Map, waiting for it to load all the markers and then hitting the arrow in the Saved Locations panel.

It's not available in Smart Collections, but it is in the Metadata Filters (just select All Photos first). That's quicker than selecting All Photos, switching to Map, waiting for it to load all the markers and then hitting the arrow in the Saved Locations panel.

Amazing...thanks so much! I just assumed since it wasn't in the criteria for a smart collection it wouldn't be anywhere else.

Now all I gotta do is get Adobe to use Map Location as a criteria for a smart collection; I posted a request to fix this at Lightroom: allow use of "Map Location" in smart collections | Photoshop Family Customer Community

So please chime in if you stumble upon this and would find such a smart collection useful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back