Sluggish Lightroom and brush tools with new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bxbche

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I just completed a PC build to replace my 2010 dell laptop. I was focused on building a PC that would perform great for Photoshop and Lightroom

my new PC has the following

i7 6700k overclocked to 4.4 ghz (4 core / 8 threads)

64gb gskills ripjaws 5 ram ddr4

gigabyte SOC force z170 Motherboard

dual m.2 Samsung 950 pros in RAID 0 total of 1 TB (3100 mb/s transfer speed)

samsung 850 ssd 1TB (500 mb/s transfer speed)

evga NVIDIA 970 ftw+ GPU with 4 GB DDR5

win 10 home.

Dell 27 inch 4K monitor

When using Lightroom to edit photos in develop module my new PC takes sometimes seconds to update the image to the current version. And when using a brush the updates lag dramatically almost making it unusable.

During this time my GPU and Processor are not even at full load ?????

Catalog size shows 9505 images. Total catalog size 272.05 MB. Total preview cache size is 10 gb. Medium quality at 3840px resolution. Smart previews are 422 MB.

I I turned off automatically update XMP and have removed unneeded 1:1 previews.

What is causing such poor performance? What can I do to improve?

My new system has great benchmarks in cinebench ,other benchmark systems, and in Photoshop

thanks

Is your catalog on the SSD too or on a second (EHD) drive?
Your GPU is on the compatibility list but it's worth trying disabling it inLightroom to see what happens (Edit | Preferences | Tab Performance | Uncheck 'Use Graphic Processor')

Also, when you did the restore to move everything over from your old machine. The previews, what do you have them set to generate?

My catalog is on my fastest drive - the PCIe NVME RAID 0 SSD (drive has 84% free space)
Current working Images are stored on my second SSD (normal samsung 850 EVO)
Backup image copies and some older images that are in my catalog are stored on my NAS.

I tried disabling the GPU in lightroom and performance was worst. Resizing and moving radial filters was not smooth but jerky.
I did a fresh install except copying over my catalog directory to the new machine.

For the preview images - i generate 1:1 previews for the images i am currently editing and they are set for Auto PX (3840 px) with medium quality.

I went back and turned off more background apps also.

I am beginning to think it is lightroom having issues with the 4K display resolution.

I updated to latest version of LIghtroom CC and it seemed to improve a little. Anyone see an improvement with the newest version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back