• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Slow deleting photos...Corrupt catalog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john lafferty

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
For at least a year I have experienced slow performance when deleting photos. I get a message that says "updating everything" in a window titled "removing photos from services".
It can take 5 to 10 min until I get the window asking me if I want to delete the photo from the disc or just remove it from LR.
This problem appeared on my old Macbook Pro and has carried over to a new MBP with the fastest processor and 16 Gb RAM.

I spent some time on the phone with LR support today and he said he thinks my catalog must be corrupted. Since I have been living with this issue for some time now I do not want to restore from an old backup as way too much work would be affected.

How can I test my catalog for corruption?
Is there any way to import all my photos into a new catalog en bloc. That is without losing keywords and edits?

You can try to create a new catalog, and then import the old catalog into the new one. That doesn't change anything in the old catalog, so you can simply try if that solves the problem.

I have to say this from the top of my head: Create a new catalog from the 'File' menu. Then select 'import from another catalog' from the same menu (the exact wording could be slightly different).

Last edited:
Yup. File menu > New Catalog, then File menu > Import from Another Catalog and navigate to your current one. If you're not sure where your current one is stored, first go to Lightroom menu > Catalog Settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back