• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Slooooooow Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwajwa

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi

I have the latest none cloud version of lightroom with a brand new pc that cost an arm and a leg. All was going well (in terms of good performance) until this week when everything has slowed right down. There is loads of disc space on my pc, the catalogue has been newly optimized and nothing else has changed as far as I know.... So any clues why the sluggish performance? Thanks..... John

What updates may have taken place? Maybe track back through that route? Check both Windows and Graphics drivers (I assume no settings have been changed in LR)

Hi not sure about updates but everything in processing is really slow.... (adjusting sliders etc)

Adjusting sliders being slow sounds like a graphics card driver issue. What resolution is your monitor, and which graphics card?

I would completely uninstall the graphics card driver and reinstall it.

Er done this and Lightroom looks improved (fingers crossed) but Photoshop no longer opens :0 Any tips?

Alas I spoke too soon ..... Back to being sluugish again :( Any other top tips appreciated...... Thanks...

John

To clarify the sluggish operation of LR a bit more, is it related just to adjusting sliders? I use LR 6.14 also. Opening LR was slow and moving between the various folders and photos in LR was exceedingly slow. I didn't pay that close attention to the speed at which edits were made to photos, which I believe is more predicated on the graphics card employed, but there has been a significant improvement in speed related to other LR operating factors after installing a solid state drive that replaced the hard disk drive on the computer. For example, despite having an extensive number of photos imported in to LR, opening the program with the HDD took nearly 15 seconds to get to the opening window and then about another 20 seconds for LR to complete its scan of the folders so that LR was ready for operation. After the SSD was installed, LR opens to its starting window in 2 second and completes its scan of the folders in another 5 seconds. There are 110 folders containing 80 GB of photos. So within 7 seconds LR is completely functional and ready to open any folder/photo file. Scrolling from one folder to another is also faster. The fast speed also applies to scrolling from photo to photo within a folder.
Hence, if your computer is equipped with a HDD, you may want to investigate installing a SSD. It might not solve the editing issue, but it certainly will speed up booting up the computer and opening software programs, etc.

I strongly second the advice to put the catalog on a SSD. LR do a lot of read/write on this files. It doesn't do much read/write on the orignal photos files, therefore putting them on the SSD won't improve the performance, you can keep the original files on HDD.

Speeking of performance, I've recenctly seen a PC with performance highly degraded. After analysis, I found 3 antivirus active on this machine (Windows defender and 2 others). I uninstalled the 2 other antivirus (keeping Windows defender) and the PC went back to its original performance. Having more than one antivirus degrades seriously the performance and doesn't improve the security. It happens more often that we could think (I've seen that several times), additional antivirus being installed without the user's knowledge (by an application setup, for exemple).

Speeking of antivirus, you can exclude the catalog file ({Catalog name}.lrcat), the preview folder ({Catalog name} previews.lrdata) as well as the Camera Raw cache from the live scan of the antivirus. This will also improve the performance a bit.

Is the recommendation of the previous post that the SSD will be dedicated to just LR and its accompanying catalog? If so, this would not be using the speed capability of the SSD to its fullest extent. That is, why not migrate the entire computer OS to a SSD, thereby achieving the greatest advantage of a SSD. I don't quite comprehend the logic of the post.

That is, why not migrate the entire computer OS to a SSD
I agree. I would strongly suggest to buy a SSD big enough (ie at least 256 GB) to contain OS, applications end LR catalog stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back