• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Slideshow module Slideshow Issues with Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky3540

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.3 [ 202005281810-476e492c ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
After upgrading to the latest version, my Slideshow module has issues. I never had these issues before upgrading.

For one, it insists on building previews every time I click Play, no matter how many times I’ve played the show previously. It builds the previews slowly, then never shows a completed progress bar in the Preparing Slideshow window before the show starts to play.

Things I’ve done to try to fix it include:
  • Restarting the computer and Lightroom (and optimizing the catalog)
  • Going to Library>Previews>Build 1:1 Previews and forcing Lightroom to build previews for all the images in the show
  • Deleting the Previews cache
Another new problem is that the music is choppy. It stops every few seconds. If I hit the spacebar to pause the show, then hit it again to resume, the music resumes—before stopping again a few seconds later. The show keeps playing, however. This problem happens intermittently—not on every show and not every time.

Any ideas? Have I inadvertently changed a setting somewhere? Did the upgrade change a setting that I'm not aware of? I checked Catalog settings and Preferences, and don’t see anything that could be causing this.

The slideshow builds not previews but finished JPEGs (that include labels, titles, etc.) in a staging area in Working storage. If you exit LrC, then this working storage is freed up and returned to the OS. If you are seeing this in the same session of LrC, then you may have encountered one of the security issues implemented in Catalina.

Thank you, Cletus. Yes, even within the same session, LrC takes the time to rebuild the JPEGs every time I click Play. If this is a Catalina-related issue, other users must be experiencing the same thing. It's pretty annoying when you're iterating versions of a show and have to wait for LrC to build these JPEGs each time. Even if I don't change anything at all, it still does this.

In Windows-10, I also see this for the SS 'Preparing....'. Also annoying the wait for a long SS!
It happens every time and for every method:
-Click the > icon
-Click the [Play] button
-Press [Ctrl+Enter]

If you're experiencing this in Windows, that would indicate that it may not be a Catalina-related problem.

I see it on both my Mojave iMac and my Catalina MB pro. Latest version of LR

I was hoping this would get fixed in the October 2020 release, which I installed yesterday, but it wasn't. I've read threads on other forums where people describe the same problem. They say 9.2.1 was the last version where this did not happen.

On the Lightroom Classic Feedback page, in response to a post about this problem, Adobe employee GOapher says (s)he has raised the issue with the development team. That was four months ago. Apparently not enough people use the Slideshow module for this issue to get sufficient priority in the list of issues to fix.

No, unfortunately, I've never solved it myself and no one has put forth a solution. My workaround is to export all my finished slideshows as videos at 1080p so I can show them without having to wait for the previews to build, over and over again. That's not a satisfactory solution if you're demo-ing slideshow capabilities within Lightroom for an audience, or want to keep iterating a show and playing it, but if your goal is simply to play your show for an audience, it's acceptable.

The truth is, though, that Adobe should fix this. It's really a fatal flaw in the Slideshow module, rendering it unusable for lots of situations.

I have not used the module for a year.
I just did a quick test of some older slide shows on my Windows 10 machine. A show with 71 slides and music was incredibly slow when I tried a preview. I stopped it. A show with 85 slides and no music seemed to get through the preview stage ok, though slower than before. But it never showed a slide show - just a quick black screen, then back to the setup.

I'll try more in a while - but what I have is unusable .

Last edited:
Been racking my head as to what caused this, glad to know that it wasn't somehing I did, but rather Adobe.

Anyone know of any windows slideshow software that gives the pan/zoom aka ken burns effect?

Or a way to downgrade a v10 catalog to v9.

Been racking my head as to what caused this, glad to know that it wasn't somehing I did, but rather Adobe.

Anyone know of any windows slideshow software that gives the pan/zoom aka ken burns effect?

Or a way to downgrade a v10 catalog to v9.
I have not used slideshow yet with the latest version of LR Classic, so no comment on whether it is fixed or not.
I am told by a friend that it works well when generating a new slide show.
I have been doing a lot of video, however; mixing videos with still photos.
So, without the video, it is like a slide show if you want to produce a mp4 or mov slideshow.
I have been using and liking the free version of DaVinci Resolve, currently v 17.
They have a "Ken Burns" zoom effect built in, and it is easy to generate your own do something custom.

I liked not generating a video because it would reshuffling each iteration and being able to add/remove images easily and re-generate the slideshow nearly instantly. I suppose I can just render several iterations in DaVinci Resolve.

I have tested the latest LR Classic and it still builds one by one even just after running it as if it did not just cache it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back