• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Slideshow - individual captions, transition pages & to save or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AutoMac

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Doubtless a "newbie's" questions (LR 3.6) - so, I'm sorry if they are blindingly obvious to answer.

I am trying to complete a Slideshow of some 400 photos. Now all processed and sorted as I want them. To finalise the slideshow I need to do the following but am at a complete loss (despite Scott Kelby's excellent Lightroom 3 book....):

1. I want to put an differently worded text caption onto a limited number of the photos.
    - If I add text with the ABC button - then the same text is added to all the photos :wtf: and when deleted on one photo, it disappears on all of them.
    - If I add text via metadata - the text appears correctly on the relevant photo, but then <empty> appears in subsequent photos where I have no metadata and do not want text anyway :shock:
  2. It would be good to add several 'blank' slides to act as separators between various visual topics. Ideally I would also like to add brief text - just like the opening and closing slides. Can this be done?
  3. Is there a way of "saving" my (magnificent :bluegrin: ) slideshow after all this work - or can it only be properly saved by exporting to a PDF (or similar)?
    Having managed to accidentally reset it's settings by experimentally clicking on other templates, I'm quite keen to keep all the applied formats and settings... :cry:

Any thoughts or fixes, please? Many thanks in advance for any help!!!

Regards, Peter (aka AutoMac)

Hi Peter,

Although I've never used it regularly, I had the same problem and I've solved them following these to links:

blogs.adobe.com/phosphors/2010/10/add-captions-in-lightroom.html

forums.adobe.com/thread/856312

At the time it worked for me in the end, and I know the metadata info is not that useful, specially when you don't want to use that!

I hope this can help you.

Cheers,

pAk

Thanks (or "merci") pAk, I will check that out right away.

In between times, LR Queen Victoria kindly sent me the following reply which was very useful:

I want to put an differently worded text caption onto a limited number of the photos.
- If I add text via metadata - the text appears correctly on the relevant photo, but then <empty> appears in subsequent photos where I have no metadata and do not want text anyway
image001.gif@01CD0121.470411D0

That <empty> should disappear when you play or export the slideshow. You were absolutely right in adding it via metadata.

It would be good to add several 'blank' slides to act as separators between various visual topics. Ideally I would also like to add brief text - just like the opening and closing slides. Can this be done?

The best way of doing that is to create the separator slides in other software and then import them as JPEGs, which you can then including in the slides as photos.

Is there a way of "saving" my (magnificent
part2.00090400.00070005@lightroomqueen.com
) slideshow after all this work - or can it only be properly saved by exporting to a PDF (or similar)?

To set it in stone, yes, you need to export it. The other thing you could do is right-click on the slideshow and choose Export as Catalog. I'd uncheck the 'include negatives' and 'include previews' and it'll create a small catalog file with all of your settings. If you ever messed up your Lightroom version, you could just import that little catalog back in, and it would tie up with your photos again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back