Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
N/A
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
  2. Other (please note in thread)

Suggest reading customer comments on this topic in the "News & Updates" section of the Skylum Community. Topics – Skylum Community

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Oh they don't sound like happy bunnies.

Colin Grant

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Nor surprising. Luminar 3 was sold as a Lr alternative and still does not have a dam with exif, search, smart album capabilities. The editing tools are poor also - no edge aware tech, decent luminosity or colour range masking. They went after the "we hate the Adobe subscription" brigade but could not and have not delivered a program that is anywhere near the Adobe stuff. Despite saying L3 would be fixed we now have a paid for L4 in the works! Yup they are not happy bunnies over there.

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yes I had some fun with that company. I had heard about Noiseless CK so I decided to download the Luminar trial. Turned out CK was an additional plug-in for $100 but Skylum did not offer a trial. I wasn't going to spend $100 without trying it. Through several correspondences they sent me link for a trial. I couldn't get it to work because Luminar was a trial. After several more attempts with them I finally gave up.

Noiseless became available for free so I tried it but it only works on Jpegs. The dialogue box said I could purchase CK for $10 so I did. Turned out it became a legacy product, no longer supported so it didn't work. I got my $10 back but what a mess.

Colin Grant

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yes - a very doubtful organisation some say. IMO there is no continuity of product functionality or quality control. Do not think so many see Luminar as a viable Lr alternative now. Seems many were driven in that direction due to them detesting the Adobe subscription model. Each to their own of course but I'll stick with Adobe thanks.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (but still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Adobe is very entrenched in its market here, and my impression is that the competition is a bunch of startup companies, likely with inexperienced and immature managements. They are prone to making rookie mistakes.

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
It is interesting that a mature company like Adobe makes them as well :)

mcasan

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
But Adobe can afford the luxury. Much harder for smaller companies to survive several large technical or marketing mistakes.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (but still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
It is interesting that a mature company like Adobe makes them as well :)
Yes, Adobe has made some serious mistakes, such as that awful launch a year ago October. But not the kind of rookie mistakes such as promising and then not delivering on new features, which are particularly infuriating to customers. That sort of mistake is very common in the software industry and it destroys a company's reputation.

Phil