• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Site Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Grant

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I am getting very poor response times from the forum. Is there an ongoing issue?

It's OK here in eastern Canada.

Tsunami didn’t slow things down?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They sent a couple of emergency alerts to our cell phones, but as I live up on a ridge away from the shoreline, I know I will be having bigger problems than site performance if I am seeing water from a tsunami!:eek2:

--Ken

They sent a couple of emergency alerts to our cell phones, but as I live up on a ridge away from the shoreline, I know I will be having bigger problems than site performance if I am seeing water from a tsunami!:eek2:

--Ken

Another over hyped non emergency. The tsunami dissipates the farther it is from the source Who ever decided to make the alert national did not consult a geologist with some authority. If I lived in Samoa, I might have been concerned. Even Hawaii, it might have been noticeable. But the mean distance from Tonga to the West Coast is 8600km.

Another over hyped non emergency. The tsunami dissipates the farther it is from the source Who ever decided to make the alert national did not consult a geologist with some authority. If I lived in Samoa, I might have been concerned. Even Hawaii, it might have been noticeable. But the mean distance from Tonga to the West Coast is 8600km.

That's kind of what I thought as well. It seemed odd that we were getting warnings when Hawaii either did not or retracted theirs. I am not sure of what they were expecting, but sometimes it does pay to play it safe as a lot of folks have little to no common sense. When we visited the Big Island of Hawaii and went to Hapuna Beach, a beautiful beach where many a honeymooner go to celebrate, the life guard told us its nickname was "nosebreak beach". Folks ignore the tide and beach log warning signs and end up getting slammed by an incoming tide. I am not a good swimmer, so I just enjoyed the view and stayed away from the water. I had one earlier experience on the island with snorkeling in a very gentle tide and it kept pulling me away form the shoreline. That was enough of a taste of how powerful the waters can be, and I know my limits. I have a lot of respect for the local residents who grew up swimming in those waters.

--Ken

I am in the UK and it has been flaky. All other sites I access are fine.

I'm also in the UK, and although I do occasionally come across a bit of slow response I haven't seeing any issue last night or this morning.

I tried a couple of different ways to see where www.lightroomqueen.com was in relation to where I am.

I first did a standard TRACE ROUTE from Windows. I expected the end to be some where in the UK, but it doesn't seem to be.
Code:
C:\Users\paul\Pictures\_temp>tracert www.lightroomqueen.com

Tracing route to www.lightroomqueen.com [162.159.137.85]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  mynetwork [192.168.1.1]
  2     8 ms    12 ms     6 ms  10.11.0.201
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4    20 ms    20 ms    19 ms  tcore4-toronto21_34.net.bell.ca [64.230.59.192]
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6    25 ms    22 ms    21 ms  tcore4-chicagocp-bundle-ether15.net.bell.ca [142.124.127.174]
  7    20 ms    20 ms    20 ms  bx6-chicagodt_0-7-0-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.79.87]
  8    19 ms    19 ms    19 ms  141.101.73.14
  9    23 ms    23 ms    23 ms  141.101.73.18
 10    19 ms    19 ms    19 ms  cve-2020-0601-00.cloudflareresearch.com [162.159.137.85]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\paul\Pictures\_temp>

Interesting the end point was not the Lightroom Queen web site.

So, the I tried a look up of where the web site (see attached) was and found this which seems to imply it's on a service with multiple access points to the web site. This is beyond my understanding of how web sites are serviced from your particular location,

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 168
As a refinement, I looked up where the last server, 141.101.73.18, as before it ht www.lightroomqueen.com and all pointed to Chicago.

Either way it terribly slow here to the point of being almost unusable at times. All other websites are behaving as they should and I am on fibre to the premises.

Either way it terribly slow here to the point of being almost unusable at times. All other websites are behaving as they should and I am on fibre to the premises.

Run your own TRACERT. Note the hops and the delays between hops. This should show where any delays are occurring.
Next run a net speed test to see speed your ISP is delivering. Eliminate the WiFi path which will only deliver 150-300 mbps tops. Please report your results.

Our server is in the US and international performance improved thorough Cloudflare. We’ve had a couple of reports in the last few days of Kaspersky causing trouble. Are you still having trouble?

Our server is in the US and international performance improved thorough Cloudflare. We’ve had a couple of reports in the last few days of Kaspersky causing trouble. Are you still having trouble?
Yes, Victoria. When I click on things like "mark all read" it takes an age to do anything. Sometimes it just sticks and I have to click again. Just now, trying to log in on my tablet I got "oops there was an error".

Hmmmm. We haven’t been able to reproduce issues so far, but we’d love to track it down for you. Tell us more about the devices and operating systems you’re using? Oooops there was an error sounds like a cookie problem.

FWIW I switch off Kaspersky a number of years ago when I started to see articles on them being potential close to Russian security services. Just found this page discussing it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspersky_bans_and_allegations_of_Russian_government_ties
If Kaspersky were a Chinese mainland company, there would be no doubt that the company was sharing data with the government. China has a "civil-military fusion" policy in this area.

However elements of the Russian government seem to rely more on hackers, ransomware players in particular, to do their dirty work. However, even if the corporate policy at Kaspersky is not to share data with the government, that doesn't prevent individual employees from doing so.

If you are concerned about Kaspersky runninng on your system, fortunately there are plenty of good alternatives. A lot of Windows users believe that the free Windows Defender is adequate for security, perhaps supplemented by the free edition of Malwarebytes. However, I have seen studies (can't recall at the moment) that suggest that some paid alternatives are better.

Personally I spend $100 a year for SymantecLifelock security (without the Lifelock features) plus about $50 for the paid version of MalwareBytes, which provides real-time protection. Admittedly not cheap, but much less than the headaches and financial losses from a breach of one of my computers.

All of this discussion is distinct from the issues of privacy online, being tracked, etc.

Using an M1 iMac with 16 gig, 1TB ssd and Safari with the very latest OS. Can access the site fine but it appears that switching between sections of the site takes a long time and can temporarily hang. This is not occurring with any other website. In fact trying to post this reply was painful as it just sat there for a while before posting.

Using an M1 iMac with 16 gig, 1TB ssd and Safari with the very latest OS. Can access the site fine but it appears that switching between sections of the site takes a long time and can temporarily hang. This is not occurring with any other website. In fact trying to post this reply was painful as it just sat there for a while before posting.

IIRC, you are in the UK. I have the same hardware as you and have no problems reaching the (presumably) UK based Lightroom Queen forum.

Hmmmmm. A long shot, but can I get you to another browser and see if you have the same issues please. I think maybe something cached or a browser setting maybe.

Yup it is running fine on Chrome. On Safari I cannot access my account details and other parts - it now says it cannot reach server.

Cleared cache and history in Safari. I am able to access the site again but still slow and at times it cannot access the server and I have to try again before it works. On Chrome it is lightning fast. I am running Monterey 12.1 and this "seems" to have arisen since that update I did a few days ago. Might be coincidence.

Do you have any anti virus or security software running?

I haven’t updated to 12.1 yet, I’ll try to do that tomorrow to see if I can reproduce it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back