• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Single Keyword Search

mak65

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I'm sure there is a simple answer but it escapes me.

I recently did an import in which, upon import, all photos were given a keyword to represent the session. As I have been going through the photos I have added keywords to some photos but all still contain the original root keyword.

Is there a way for me to filter so that I am left with those photos that contain only the one root keyword?

I have tried all of the filter settings for Keyword plus all versions of "Contains ...". I even tried to do a Smart Collection but nothing I tried has worked.

Thanks
Michael

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
It depends on what the other keywords are. If they are all different, it won't be easy with the standard Lightroom options. The 'Any filter' plugin from John Ellis can search on images that have one keyword only. If the images that now have two or more keywords all contain the same two keywords, you could make a smart collection with criteria 'Contains: keyword1, Does not contain: keyword2'.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
It should be fairly easy to do using the Library Filter bar. Steps are:

1. Click on All Photographs
2. Open Library Filter, choose Metadata, set first column to Keywords, use the menu icon at the right of the Keywords header to choose "Flat".
3. In the ensuing list, locate and click on the root keyword. That will populate the grid with all the photos from the session.
4. Click on the Attribute option, click on the "Unlabelled" icon in the "Color" section (changes the filter to now list all the images with the root keyword which have not been given a colour label). If you've already used a colour label on some of the images, use a different Attribute filter such as star rating, you'll get the idea in a moment.
5. Set the second filter column to also show keywords in "Flat" order. You'll now see listed in the second column only the keywords (including the root keyword) which you've used in that shoot.
6. Click on the top keyword in the second column, then shift-click on the bottom keyword to select all keywords. Then Ctrl-click on the root keyword, which removes it from the selection. The photo selection in the Grid is now reduced to all the pictures from the shoot that contain more than the one root keyword.
7. Ctrl+A to select them all, press 6 to give them a red label, and of course they'll all disappear from the grid because you're also filtering on unlabelled images as well.
8. At this point, the number against the root keyword is now reduced to only those images that do not have a red label, i.e. those that ONLY have the single root keyword. Click on the root keyword in the second column and the grid will be populated with those root keyword-only images.

Takes a lot less time to do it than it took me to type it!

mak65

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thanks Jim. Johan actually gave me an idea.

Many of my pictures have various keywords beyond the "root' keyword. However, all of my keywords have a hierarchy. The hierarchy's parent keyword is Person, Place, Thing, etc. My "root" keyword falls under Place. All of my others, thus far, can be classified as either person or thing. I set up a Smart that includes my root but does not contain person or thing. Works great! Thanks all!

Michael