Sidecar Files - What extensions does LR6 recognise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew1

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Does anyone know of a definitive list of file extensions that LR6 treats as being sidecar files?

What I've deduced so far:

.xmp (this is a given - after all, LR writes them)
.jpg (when shooting RAW+JPG)
.wav and .mp3 (from what I have read on the web)
.thm (by observation of what happens when renaming files in my old Minolta folders)

Am I also right in thinking that a file only "becomes" a sidecar file at the moment of import?
i.e. if I add a .wav file to the pictures folder at a later date it won't be managed by LR6).

To answer the second question: you probably have to use 'Synchronize Folder' if you added a .wav file later, but I never tried this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "becomes," but if you mean is that when Lr recognizes it as such, I'd say yeah, on import (or synchronization, or maybe "read metadata from file." With the caveat that it might not read metadata in those circumstances, as it doesn't from a JPEG that's a sidecar of a RAW.

I do know that Lr does NOT recognize DxO sidecars; so if you move images with those sidecars the sidecars themselves are left behind.

Not sure I understand re RAW and Jpeg. Is not the sidecar file the same - that is XMP re the RAW file with the jpeg just being a processed copy of the RAW file. I am probably not understanding your question :)

Not sure I understand re RAW and Jpeg. Is not the sidecar file the same - that is XMP re the RAW file with the jpeg just being a processed copy of the RAW file. I am probably not understanding your question :)

If you have a Raw+Jpeg "pair", e.g. you shoot Raw+Jpeg in camera, and then import that "pair" into Lightroom, AND the Lightroom Preference (General Tab) to "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" in UNCHECKED, then Lightroom will import only the Raw half but will register the Jpeg half as a "sidecar" to the Raw file (which will be shown in the Metadata panel for the Raw file). As a result of that particular pairing, any file-system change you make in Lightroom to the Raw file (i.e. move, rename, delete) is replicated on the Jpeg "sidecar".

Johan: Thanks, Synchronise does indeed pick up lately-added sidecars.

Rob: You warning about DxO is much appreciated. The issue is compounded by the fact, that on my setup at least, DSC_0001.NEF is accompanied by DSC_0001.NEF.dop which isn't even the same base file name! I can see a need to externally bulk-rename from .NEF.dpo to .WAV before synchronising, moving/renaming in LR and then externally renaming back from .WAV to .NEF.dpo

Colin: I see that Jim has beaten me to it.

Jim: Very neatly explained, you've saved me the trouble!

If you have a Raw+Jpeg "pair", e.g. you shoot Raw+Jpeg in camera, and then import that "pair" into Lightroom, AND the Lightroom Preference (General Tab) to "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" in UNCHECKED, then Lightroom will import only the Raw half but will register the Jpeg half as a "sidecar" to the Raw file (which will be shown in the Metadata panel for the Raw file). As a result of that particular pairing, any file-system change you make in Lightroom to the Raw file (i.e. move, rename, delete) is replicated on the Jpeg "sidecar".

Thanks Jim :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back