• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Sidebar panel widths

Status
Not open for further replies.

rctneil

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Is there a way to increase the width of the side panels in LR? I have some quite long collection names and they are pretty repetitive near the beginnings and very awkward to view without being able to increase the panel widths?

Unfortunately, no. You can make them smaller than the default, but not bigger. You can change the font size used in Lightroom's panels to either "Small" or "Large" using a dropdown in the Edit >> Preferences >> Interface dialog. Restart Lightroom for the change to take effect.

Ok, it's a really annoying issue as I can't view the full collection names all one view without hovering over each of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can use the grab handles (which will appear when you hover the cursor over the existing edge of the panels). That will allow you to increase the panel width to a set maximum size. However, on OSX you can also hold down the Alt/Opt key while you drag the grab handle....that allows you to increase the panel width to about half the width of the screen.

It's a tip I picked up from Victoria a while back, but I've just checked "The Missing FAQ" and I see it's on page 81 of the LR6 version.

It is a strange one. Why put an arbitrary width on the panels anyway. Set a default and allow the user to expand and contract it as much as they like. Simples!

:( ALT does not work for a wide panel in Windows!

Maybe Victoria asked for it so she could sell more books that reveal the hidden features of Lightroom... :p

LOL!

On Windows, you used to be able to stretch them beyond the standard limit without needing an extra key, but that seems to have died with Windows 10.

Jeffrey's Configuration Manager used to be the other way of doing it, although I haven't tested its panel width controls in LR6. Worth a shot. Jeffrey's Lightroom Configuration Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back