• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Showing separate RAW/CR2 and JPG on recent import

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cohech

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
My most recent import shows separate RAW and JPG versions of the same photo. This hasn't happened before but I have upgraded LR (to 9.3) since the previous import. I checked the "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" was not and is not selected.

Anyone know why this happened and how to prevent it for future imports?
Additionally, is there a way to instruct LR to reprocess these photos and consider RAW and JPGs as the same photo? I'm aware I could use the "Auto-Stack by Capture Time" but not sure that's the same as LR considering them the same photo as intended.

There was another report of this here . I can't reproduce it, and I don't have a Mac on that Catalina, but maybe someone else can take a look?

A check box in the "General" tab of the "preferences" controls this (you want it unchecked). If it was already unchecked then something else must be going on which I can't reproduce either (I'm not even on a Mac).

Assuming you haven't done a lot of work on those recently imported images, you can remove them from LR (don't delete, just remove). Then, after checking that check box to assure it is unchecked, re-import them using the "add" form of the import dialog and pointing to their current location.

If you have done some work on them in the Develop module or in the Library module like titles, captions, copyright, keywords etc , then prior to removing and re importing them perform a "save metadata to file " from the Metadata menu. Doing this will NOT save any collection work you did nor will it save the edit history and keywords may lose their hierarchical positioning. However if you did do develop module changes it will have reflect those changes - just not the steps that created those changes.

I'm not sure what you're saying in your second and third paragraphs, Dan. For me the key point is that on Mac Catalina, two posts suggest that 9.3 might not respect the raw+jpeg preference. I can't reproduce it on PC or on Mac 10.13, but I can't test on Catalina. Maybe it's a "delete the preferences" fix, but it would be good to get Catalina tests.

Just tested on 9.3 and Catalina (10.15.6) and works as expected - raw files show in Lr, not the JPG ones (which Lr copied on Import to the folder next to the raw files)

I'm reluctant to suggest resetting LR's preferences, but it does sometimes solve mysteries like this!

First try enabling "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" and closing LR immediately, then reopening and unchecking the setting. Immediately restart LR again. The idea is to force LR to resave the preferences properly.

How are they being imported? Camera cable? Memory card reader? Direct from the hard drive?

I'm not sure what you're saying in your second and third paragraphs, Dan.
Just suggesting that if the OP has the images in LrC as separate photos and wants them as combined, then they can remove and re-import. I tried (perhaps not well) to explain what LrC work may be lost in the process and how to retain some of that work by saving XMP data in the process.

As suggested (thanks Califdan) I tried removing the photos, without deleting, and re-importing. That resolved the problem, that is the RAW and JPG files were combined as expected. The original import was via usb cable connected to a camera (rather than re-importing from HD), so I re-tested that scenario. The problem didn't reoccur and files again were combined as expected.
As I'm unable to reproduce the problem I'll just keep an eye out for it happening again in the future. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Just a heads-up....importing from a direct camera attachment has been notoriously unreliable over the years (which is probably what was behind Victoria's question), so you'd probably be doing yourself a favour if you switched to using a card reader instead. Personally, I think it's safer as well as being more reliable.

Also, if your camera has two memory cards and you set it to store RAW's on one card and JPG's on another card, LrC may not deal with that the way you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back