• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Show Focus Points Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngalt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi,

I know that focus point support has been requested in Lightroom many times.

I happened to stumble across a plugin last night while searching the subject.

Does anyone have any experience with this plugin?

Show Focus Points Plugin

Mods, please move post or remove URL if it's inappropriate.

Thanks for the heads-up Doug, I hadn't seen that one.

Further to my previous post, I've now compared the focus points shown by the plugin alongside the results from Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) both are showing the same detail and the actual focus point used. So I'm very pleased, as this functionality within LR now allows me to check the focus point without having to open DPP not that I have problems hitting focus :whistling:
Thanks again for the link John.

Last edited:
Win8

Might be a Windows 8 problem (8.1, 64 bit) - anyone else?

Hi WeissGuy, I'm the author of the plugin - could you contact me by private message (or email) so we can try to figure out what is the problem? I don't think there is a general Windows 8 problem, as I have the plugin running successfully in Windows 8.1 64bit LR 5.6. Thanks, Chris

ChrisR Welcome to our forum. Until this thread I had never heard of this plugin. It is something that has been requested often in this forum and elsewhere. I D/L'd the Plugin and installed to test with my D800 NEFs and 51-focus points. It works well even if the NEF is converted to DNG. I will recommend this whenever the question presents itself in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to meet you ChrisR.

Hi,

Running Windows 8.1 64bit (update1) and Lightroom 5.6. The plugin works fine on my setup. This is very slick Chris.

Hi WeissGuy, I'm the author of the plugin - could you contact me by private message (or email) so we can try to figure out what is the problem? I don't think there is a general Windows 8 problem, as I have the plugin running successfully in Windows 8.1 64bit LR 5.6. Thanks, Chris
Chris, I had a problem as well.
I sent you a email with a screen capture of the error message.

Jim

edit - I just sent a log file as well

Last edited:
Chris made the fix this afternoon and posted a new version.
I downloaded it, installed, and it works just fine.
A very slick plugin.

Jim

Thank ChrisR for fixing something Adobe should have a long time ago.
I don't fault Adobe. Their product needs to be universal. Camera manufacturers use widely diverse and no standard method for capturing and storing focus point information if they record any focus point information at all. This plugin only works with Canon and Nikon. It is a very custom solution.

Thank ChrisR for fixing something Adobe should have a long time ago.
I don't fault Adobe. Their product needs to be universal. Camera manufacturers use widely diverse and no standard method for capturing and storing focus point information if they record any focus point information at all. This plugin only works with Canon and Nikon. It is a very custom solution.

So how does this work if you focus and then recompose, which I do probably 90% of the time ?
Perhaps you have a 3D tracking feature on your Canon. I use this for my Nikon. I use center point or center weighted focusing in 3D so that when my subject focus is acquired at the center point, the focused point tracks the subject whether the subject moves or I recompose in the frame. The focus point then follows the subject to any one of the 51 focus points on my focusing screen.

ChrisR Welcome to our forum. Until this thread I had never heard of this plugin. It is something that has been requested often in this forum and elsewhere. I D/L'd the Plugin and installed to test with my D800 NEFs and 51-focus points. It works well even if the NEF is converted to DNG. I will recommend this whenever the question presents itself in the future.

ChrisR, I wanted to thank you for this plug-in as well. I have been looking for this capability since I switched from Nikon's Capture NX2 software to Adobe. It's working for my raw images, and this will be a big help in letting me know whether I've focused where I intended.

I'm also brand new to this forum, but I appreciate having this resource to access the expertise of other Lightroom users.

Tricia Lombardi

Mark it will only show the focus point you used prior to you recomposing, not where that point was when you achieved focus

ah ok. Well I always know which focus point I used because I only ever use the centre point :)

Last edited:
I had the same mogrify problem that the new version now fixed. I have some general comments (as a user).

the text at the right hand side is cut off. -> might help if you could define a window size.
is there a way to give a keyboard shortcut to the plugin (or is that some general lightroom setting i have yet no knowledge of)
I also get an error that only low quality previews are available. I import my pictures with standard preview settings, so i dont really know why there only is a low quality preview. It is also not true, if i try the same picture again, it has a higher quality preview.

it also would be better if the plugin just gave an overlay of the focus point instead of an extra window, but this is probably not technically possible as a plugin.

just my 2C

So how does this work if you focus and then recompose, which I do probably 90% of the time ?

On my Canon 6D I customized the AF button to be the 'back button' focus button. Then if I continue to hold it down it locks that focus point when I recompose...i.e. move the camera slightly in any direction. Lift off and the focus lock quits.This was done in the custom configurations.
The button beside AF has a * on it and for me my largish fingers do not always hit that middle button so holding the back button was more convenient. The shutter button is for metering and clicking for the image.

On my Canon 6D I customized the AF button to be the 'back button' focus button. Then if I continue to hold it down it locks that focus point when I recompose...i.e. move the camera slightly in any direction. Lift off and the focus lock quits.This was done in the custom configurations.
The button beside AF has a * on it and for me my largish fingers do not always hit that middle button so holding the back button was more convenient. The shutter button is for metering and clicking for the image.

Rose, that is exactly what I do with my newly acquired 6D, except that I have customized "both" back buttons to AF, so either will do. I have also set the AF such that only the centre focus point operates which I did on my 30D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back