• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Show Focus Points Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngalt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi,

I know that focus point support has been requested in Lightroom many times.

I happened to stumble across a plugin last night while searching the subject.

Does anyone have any experience with this plugin?

Show Focus Points Plugin

Mods, please move post or remove URL if it's inappropriate.

I have also set the AF such that only the centre focus point operates which I did on my 30D.[/QUOTE said:
The beneft of this plugin is that it provides information about where the camera chose one or more focus points. If you choose the focus point, there is not much gained from the plugin since you already know the location of the focus point

The beneft of this plugin is that it provides information about where the camera chose one or more focus points. If you choose the focus point, there is not much gained from the plugin since you already know the location of the focus point

It may still be useful with a designated focus point, for diagnosing camera focus problems. Unfortunately, Nikon's quality control has had some issues in recent years (as with the first release of the D800, and Left side focus problems). Also, regardless of where I think I have placed the focus point, this can be useful (though depressing) for seeing your near misses.

Tricia Lombardi

Personally, I consider focus point displayed after-the-fact a next-to-useless piece of information. Your goal is to have a sharp picture-where you want it to be sharp. A viewing of the focus point shows you where the camera acquired focus but not if that focus point is sharp. One example: If you shoot med-telephoto portraits or macro, you will learn very quickly from experience that if your body position or the subject drift after focus acquisition you will not have a sharp image. This means, for many types of shooting, you have to go in, at 1:1 and evaluate anyway-rendering a viewing of the acquired focus point a wasted exercise.

Personally, I consider focus point displayed after-the-fact a next-to-useless piece of information. Your goal is to have a sharp picture-where you want it to be sharp. A viewing of the focus point shows you where the camera acquired focus but not if that focus point is sharp. One example: If you shoot med-telephoto portraits or macro, you will learn very quickly from experience that if your body position or the subject drift after focus acquisition you will not have a sharp image. This means, for many types of shooting, you have to go in, at 1:1 and evaluate anyway-rendering a viewing of the acquired focus point a wasted exercise.
Rikk,
While everything you say is true, sometimes I think it useful to decide which of three (or more) images hit the focus where I intended or that focus was acquired. That way I can toss all but the best. Knowing that, I don't waste even more time trying to make a silk purse out of images that aren't going to ever be any more than a Pig. I don't intend to use this plugin on every photo or even every import, but I do think it is a valuable tool for evaluating photos.

Feedback

I had the same mogrify problem that the new version now fixed. I have some general comments (as a user).

the text at the right hand side is cut off. -> might help if you could define a window size.
is there a way to give a keyboard shortcut to the plugin (or is that some general lightroom setting i have yet no knowledge of)
I also get an error that only low quality previews are available. I import my pictures with standard preview settings, so i dont really know why there only is a low quality preview. It is also not true, if i try the same picture again, it has a higher quality preview.

it also would be better if the plugin just gave an overlay of the focus point instead of an extra window, but this is probably not technically possible as a plugin.

just my 2C

Thanks for the welcome to the forum, and glad things are mostly working well. Cerianthus, regarding your questions:
- Yes, you can start the plugin with a keyboard shortcut:
On Windows, use the keyboard sequence: ALT+L, then U, then F (ALT+L is for the Library Menu, U for the submenu Plug-In Extras and F for starting the plugin). I don't think it's possible to have a "one-key"-combination.
On Mac: through use of System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts. Use "App Shortcuts". Select Adobe Lightroom 5 when asked for the application. For Menu, enter " Show Focus Points" without the quotes. NOTE: You need to type exactly three spaces before the word "Show", or it will not work.
- An overlay of the function instead of an extra window is unfortunately not allowed by Lightroom. I'm thinking of adding some navigation buttons to the plugin window to ease navigation.
- Regarding the two issues mentioned: Low Quality Previews message: I' ve seen that problem sometimes on Windows and will look into it shortly. The cut-off text I have now been able to reproduce and will post a fix soon.
Chris

Last edited:
Mark it will only show the focus point you used prior to you recomposing, not where that point was when you achieved focus

If the focus lock is put into effect the plug in retains the focus point info. I use the back button procedure and have also customized that back button to lock focus if continued to be held down. If I don't hold it down and recompose the plug in reports that focus was not locked. A red and black framed box results when holding down the backbutton (which I think is the AFLock button that gets customized to be the focus and meter action and the shutter is only used for pre metering and final clicking)

Wow ...I had given up searching for a tool like this. Someone mentioned a year or two ago that someone was working on one and I emailed him and learned he'd put it aside for awhile due to other pressing commitments. This is really a welcome tool.
I just downloaded and installed it and it is kind of working. Here are my observations:
It displays the points accurately (using D7100)
It takes up nearly the whole screen and doesn't need to be that big. Wouldn't need to be much bigger than the 3" LCD Screen on most DSLR's since that's all we had to work with previously anyway and all we need to do is confirm where it focused ...usually when questioning why we didn't seem to nail one.
It shows the points for a few pictures and then hits another one and I get a "could not generate jpeg for processing" error and the plugin seems to close. I'm viewing a folder containing nothing but NEF files recently taken on a D7100. I restart the plugin and they cycle repeats itself ...starting from a different image.
At one point LR (5.6) froze up and I had to re-start it.
I'm sure this is just minor new baby stuff so really looking forward to using it ...particularly when it is shrunk down so it doesn't hide LR. Would be nice to just park it to the side over the the library listings or over the preview, while rating a 500 photo shoot.
Kudos on developing this!!

...very cool plug-in! I shoot alot of band/drum corps shows...sometimes they last all day and I get thousands of shots, of which I actually go through them all...focus issues are not usually a problem (shooting a D4 with appropriate glass) but it's way nice to be able to see how my focusing is being achieved. I use continuous focus at the nine point setting...just a cursory glance using the plug-in offers info I normally would not have...thanks! Oh, while I "normally" shoot RAW for my smaller projects, these band tournaments really require that I step it down a bit so I shoot fine jpeg...and the plug-in works great with that format.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back