• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Should I update my Imac to Ventura?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill.fischer5

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi I am getting a lot of flack from my computer because I am still on the latest version of Monterey 12.6.3, It keeps saying I need to update to Ventura so that my phone can connect to my computer, My questions is what issues if any I will run into if I do the update with either LRC or LR?

Adobe's official list of problems with LR 12 on Mac OS 13 is now empty:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-classic-and-macos-ventura.html

After LR 12 came out, there were lots of reports of problems tethering and importing via USB cable, especially with Nikons and Iphones. The reports that Adobe officially designated as "bugs" have since been marked by Adobe as "fixed". However, there continue to be a few reports of issues tethering and importing from cameras via USB cable.

If you print, don't update. LR crashes when you hit Page Setup. I can reproduce it on mine but haven't had time to investigate it fully yet and try any of the suggested workarounds, but it's reported to be an OS bug rather than a LR one.

There are those of us that let Apple automatically upgrade the MacOS whenever a new version or version update is released. I am one of them. I also update LrC whenever Adobe issues a new version or version update.

That said, I have not encountered any of the issues listed by others. This is probably because I have not used those functions or processes in my daily workflow. With the known bugs and workarounds, I'd deem it safe to upgrade your OS to the latest.

Thank you John, Victoria and Cleo: I will update as I loo not print, I mostly use my iPhone so it will be a while before I load anything from my SLR's

I mostly use my iPhone

If you import from your phone using a USB cable, you might consider delaying updating. A number of people reported a bug with that in Mac OS 13, which Adobe has said is resolved, but at least one person has said still exists:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...to-misinterpret-exif-date-time/idi-p/13375416

(Microsoft, Apple, and Adobe don't appear to put much priority anymore on supporting USB connections to cameras.) There are several alternative workflows that work: Syncing via Lightroom Cloud, Image Capture via USB cable, Airdrop.

If I import into LR cloud and then sync into LRC do I end up with a lesser quality picture from an editing or printing prospective, Does this mean that all mu copies are Virtual copies instead of an original? Also I think if I import through LR that my cloud storage is used up, Last I remember when I am syncing from LRC to LR the cloud storage does not cost, Is this correct?

Here's what I do to easily sync my phone with LR Classic, which I've found easier than using a cable or Image Capture:

1. In LR Mobile, I enable Settings > Import > Auto Add From Camera Roll. Photos taken with phone's Camera app as well as with LR Mobile will automatically sync with LR Cloud. This syncs full-resolution copies with the cloud.

2. In LR Classic, I enable Cloud sync. Full-resolution copies get synced from the cloud into LR Classic.

3. When the cloud storage fills up (you get 20 GB with the standard subscription), I delete everything from All Synced Photographs in LR Classic. This removes them from LR Cloud and LR Mobile's library but leaves them in LR Classic.

If you have some collections synced from LR Classic to LR Cloud, then in step 3, there's a slightly more complicated method for deleting all photos in All Synced Photographs that aren't in a synced collection.

If I import into LR cloud and then sync into LRC do I end up with a lesser quality picture from an editing or printing prospective

No, what happens is that because Lightroom Classic always wants to store originals locally, if Lightroom Classic sees new originals in the cloud that it doesn’t have yet, it downloads those originals to the local folder on your computer that’s set in syncing Preferences. So you get all the original files.

Does this mean that all mu copies are Virtual copies instead of an original?

No. Because Lightroom Classic wants to download originals, you have full original data to edit or print from Lightroom Classic.

What you might be thinking of is going the other way: Lightroom Classic syncs only Smart Previews (not virtual copies) of its local originals. So, if you’ve been syncing originals taken on your phone/tablet down to Lightroom Classic and then removing them from the cloud to save cloud space, and then you sync an original back up to the cloud so you can once again edit it on your phone or tablet, what Lightroom Classic syncs up is not the original but a Smart Preview of it.

That means, for an image you sync image up to the cloud from Lightroom Classic, the full resolution is not available on phone or tablet, but remains available in Lightroom Classic itself which is storing the original locally.

If this is not easy to follow, its not your fault…it’s just not simple to think through. But when in doubt, it can all be derived from the two core principles:

For Lightroom Classic, permanent storage of originals is always local, and Lightroom Classic syncs only limited resolution Smart Previews up to the cloud.

For Lightroom cloud desktop and all Lightroom mobile apps, permanent storage of originals is in the cloud, and if they are set to download an original from the cloud, the device gets a cached copy of the cloud original. As a cached copy, it can be purged if storage needs to be freed on the device, which is OK because if you need to work with it again, Lightroom can download another copy of the cloud original.

I am almost there understanding this. If I want to keep the best image possible should I import through LR and sync to LRC or import Into LRC and sync up to LR. I do not mind using external hard drive space, I use my iPhone 13 pro camera a lot and often add keywords to the images in apple, If I do the auto import iPhone camera images into LR will my Raw files and keywords all transfer?

I would like to suggest the the process of connecting your phone to a computer and importing has been depreciated now that anyone having a LrC subscription automatically has a Lr/Cloud subscription and access to LrC. I found that with a fast internet connection any phone images imported to Lr app will automatically sync to the cloud and down to the LrC catalog the next time LrC is invoked on the computer.

I no longer use the LrC import process but instead use Lr to I’m;ort all of my images including those shot with my Nikon Z7 Camera. If I import to my iPadPro downstairs, all of the image have synced to my Master Catalog on my iMac upstairs by the time I get to that computer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cleo That sounds good, Will RAW images I shoot with the iPhone camera import automatically to LR as RAW? if so I will consider redesigning my workflow,

Will RAW images I shoot with the iPhone camera import automatically to LR as RAW?

The process I detailed above will sync Apple raw DNGs and LR Mobile raw DNGs with LR Cloud, and they will then get synced as DNGs to LR Classic.

I use my iPhone 13 pro camera a lot and often add keywords to the images in apple

Are you using a third-party app to add the keywords on your phone, or are you syncing your phone with Icloud and adding the keywords with the Mac Photos app?

If you print, don't update. LR crashes when you hit Page Setup. I can reproduce it on mine but haven't had time to investigate it fully yet and try any of the suggested workarounds, but it's reported to be an OS bug rather than a LR one.
Thanks for that information Victoria, looks like I’ll have to wait a bit longer before upgrading to Ventura.

John

The process I detailed above will sync Apple raw DNGs and LR Mobile raw DNGs with LR Cloud, and they will then get synced as DNGs to LR Classic.

Are you using a third-party app to add the keywords on your phone, or are you syncing your phone with Icloud and adding the keywords with the Mac Photos app?
I have been adding them on my Mac when I get home from shooting, So I guess they have come down from iCloud

I have been adding them on my Mac when I get home from shooting
Unfortunately, that won't be compatible with syncing your phone pics through LR cloud to LR Classic. Adobe never bothered to implement syncing of keywords.

But since the photos will be syncing to LR Classic almost as quickly, you could keyword them in LRC.

thank you Johnrellis: This sounds like the way to go, When I switch to automatic importing to LR from Apple will all 21,000 photos on my apple photos go up to iCloud,? 99% of them are already in LRC, Is it possible to just export new photos to LR or even better to select a start date say last summer to export?

Thank you for this Victoria! I am glad I checked here before updating. It is so tempting to just click away. It would be great if you could let us know when it is safe to update for those of us who print at home. Thanks again.

Thank you for this Victoria! I am glad I checked here before updating. It is so tempting to just click away. It would be great if you could let us know when it is safe to update for those of us who print at home. Thanks again.

I'll note it in the newsletter when that seems to be fixed for everyone. We also add known issues to a blog post that we publish on release day, so you can always type the macOS version name into the searchbar on the blog to check for known issues before you update. Here's the Ventura blog: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-macos-…ra-compatibility/

thank you Johnrellis: This sounds like the way to go, When I switch to automatic importing to LR from Apple will all 21,000 photos on my apple photos go up to iCloud,? 99% of them are already in LRC, Is it possible to just export new photos to LR or even better to select a start date say last summer to export?

I think you should either sync your phone with Apple Icloud or LR Cloud, but not both -- otherwise, chaos is likely.

To sync the phone with LR Cloud but not Apple Icloud:

1. In the phone's Settings > Icloud, turn off Icloud Photos, so they no longer sync with Icloud.

2. In the phone's Photos, remove any photos that are already in LR Classic -- otherwise you may end up with duplicates synced into LR Classic (which you could clean up later).

3. In LR Mobile, enable Settings > Import > Auto Add From Camera Roll. Photos taken with phone's Camera app as well as with LR Mobile will automatically sync with LR Cloud. This syncs full-resolution copies with the cloud.

4. In LR Classic, enable Cloud sync. Full-resolution copies get synced from the LR Cloud into LR Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back