• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Should I move to an SSD external HD to improve performance?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I am hoping to improve my processing time. I bought a Crucial 4 TB SSD external hard drive. It is amazingly small. Is this a good idea to use this for my lightroom Classic files and folders..

I would love to here some of the Pros and Cons of using an SSD drive.

Should I keep my LRC catalogue on my IMac's internal hard drive. In rare occasions it would be nice to just take my SSD drive to use elsewhere. Since this would be rare I am more concerned with the most efficient safest way to run my LRC and preserve my original photo files

does anyone have a good link to instructions for moving my catalogue and picture files to a new External HD/

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
thank you for getting back to me. I will wait to do the AD Hock Verification till after I reach CCC. The transfer took 27:57:39 Io transfer 295,315 files (2.13 TB. I have an Imac. I was transfering from a Lacie regular external drive to my new Crucial X6 4 TB SSD external drive. Does that sound like how long TeraCopy would take? I did not have the advanced setting to verify while copying turned on because at the time I did not realize the option existed.
I copied 253 GB of data from a 2TB WD USB 3.0 HD to a Samsung SSD T5 2TB. The total time including verification was 21:35. Since I had TeraCopy set for auto verification I don't have a separate time for the copy and verification processes. BTW, I have TeraCopy Pro 3.26. I really like it because it can be set as the default copy handler in Explorer, can be ran in unattended mode by telling it how to handle duplicate files and errors and can be set to remain open after transfer or to close on completion. There is not however a setting for programming automatic copy or synchronization. It is not a synchronization app.