• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Should I DNG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Booth

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  2. iOS
My camera shoots RW2, and I'm wondering if I should convert to DNG or not. I haven't so far, assuming any conversion has some kind of loss to it, but stumbled upon an article recommending converting from proprietary camera raw to dng systematically.

What are your thoughts on this, kind forum folks?

Why don’t you search this forum on that. There are long threads on this subject already, so we don’t really need a new one that just repeats all the arguments.

Agree with Johan's comment...
Distilled down the suggestion is that there is no short-term imperative.
It may be a long-term option (perhaps one should wait to see if and when the DNG format receives ISO standardisation) but there is no rush...

Search. I converted but not because of future conversion issues.
But because of the bit rot protection the hash offers.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

I have read you can lose metadata for camera and lens but I don't know much about it. I only used it a bit when I had CS6 (LR6 still opened RAW files) and I only remember not liking the process of converting. I found it a pain.

DNG Pros, Cons and Myths | Adobe Blog

I've been converting to DNGs since Adobe offered it, and have never lost metadata, in fact DNGs are specifically designed to help insure the safety of metadata and to allow far more information to be included in the file than other, proprietary formats. I've found the format to be solid as a rock. No less, it is open-source, meaning that Adobe does not really control it, but has let the code live in the "wild", whereas when the occasional camera company goes out of business, and their file formats go with them, this will never be a concern to me. These are among the reasons that Hasselblad and Leica produce DNGs as their native RAW file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back