• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Should I convert Nikon raw NEFs to DNG on import? And should I convert existing NEFs to DNGs?

tonyoz

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
LrC10.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi Forum gurus
I'm an amateur and have been importing a lot of Nikon NEFs over the years (various bodies) and for that matter RAW files from Canons, Lumix etc. Have done numerous edits, flags etc.
I have only now become aware of DNG.
I'm not sure what DNGs claimed benefits are, as of Sep 2021.
A. Are LRQ forumers in favor of DNG adoption?
B. Do you import into LrC using LrC or Bridge/orRaw?
C. And if I go foward with DNG is the process safe to convert my 10 years of existing RAWs to DNGs - will it proceed smoothly and integrate the edits and edit history and 'undo edit workback' options?

I'm asking because LrQ is ever-evolving and thought it would be good to have the latest experience

Thanks in anticipation

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Converting a raw file to DNG does retain the raw file format, i.e. the raw data is not changed in any way, so it should be acceptable to the people running the competition.
This may be true with the Adobe DNG converter and LrC doing the conversion, what about other applications like DxO and others?
DNG files could also contain tiff, jpeg and some other files.

Kirsty

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Converting a raw file to DNG does retain the raw file format, i.e. the raw data is not changed in any way, so it should be acceptable to the people running the competition.
Unfortunately not… competitions like “the British wildlife photography awards” and many others wildlife comps will not accept a dng unless it is the native camera format. That’s specifically stayed in the rules, so always best to check.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
This may be true with the Adobe DNG converter and LrC doing the conversion, what about other applications like DxO and others?
DNG files could also contain tiff, jpeg and some other files.
Absolutely some DNG files will not contain raw data....but if a competition demands a raw file that means they have the ability to convert that raw data, so they should also have the means to determine if the presented DNG contains raw data or not. Maybe it's just too much trouble for them to do the validation.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
While DNG is or can be a RAW file format, I would check with the people running the competition before submitting. Some competitions are reluctant to accept anything but an un adjusted SOC JPEG and seem to be unaware that cameras being with RAW non RGB data.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Photo competitions do not normally ask for raw files from the start, but some of them ask potential winners to submit the raw file to check that the image has not been altered in ways not allowed in the rules. I agree with Jim that they should have to possibility to check whether a DNG contains raw data or not, but that may not be that easy. Panorama and hdr files created by Lightroom superficially look like raw files too, and HeliconFocus can do the same with a focus stack. So indeed they do not want to go through all that trouble and ask for proprietary raw. It is interesting to see what they do with cameras that can shoot both proprietary raw as well as dng…