• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Shift-drag basic sliders on Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

thommy

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi

A friend of mine is using Lightroom Classic on a Mac.
Showed him how to fine tune settings by dragging basic sliders whilst holding down Shift (on my PC).
But it doesn't work using Shift on his Mac.
I have tried to find the right keyboard key to get the same result for Mac but without success.
Anyone knows - please advice, thanks!

Thommy

What I've always done[ Win or Mac] is make the panels bigger. That way the sliders are not tiny and difficult to fine tune.
Alt+ hover over edge to drag out.

Thanks for the tip, but we really want to know how it works to fine tune by dragging the sliders whilst holding down ths Shift key like on a PC.
No one knows?

Thommy

Holding down the Shift key allows more precision (slows the sliders down) in adjusting most of the sliders.
But I cannot find any information howto do the same on Mac.

Holding down the Shift key allows more precision (slows the sliders down) in adjusting most of the sliders.
But I cannot find any information howto do the same on Mac.
I do not know of any shortcut key combination the decelerate the mouse movement on my Mac. However, that said, I have no difficulty adjusting any of the sliders in increments of 1 unit just using my Apple Trackpad. You can adjust the tracking speed for the trackpad or the Magic Mouse in the Mac System Preferences. Mine is adjusted to one notch below the middle setting.

Thanks for the feedback!
But I still miss the Shift+drag option on Mac.
Maybe it's not an option on Mac?

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but in the Basic panel on a Mac to the far right of the sliders you have the numeric showing the amount of adjustment made. If you tap on them with your mouse/pen tool you can slide right/left to make fine adjustments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but in the Basic panel on a Mac to the far right of the sliders you have the numeric showing the amount of adjustment made. If you tap on them with your mouse/pen tool you can slide right/left to make fine adjustments.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I don't have a Windows machine to check, but I am pretty sure this also works with MS Windows too.

I don't have a Windows machine to check, but I am pretty sure this also works with MS Windows too.
I have a Windows machine and yes it works!
But it's more or less the same as dragging the slider without Shift.
Doesn't slow the slider down.

I have a Windows machine and yes it works!
But it's more or less the same as dragging the slider without Shift.
Doesn't slow the slider down.

Unstead of the mouse, use the L/R arrow key to increment +/-1 units at a time. (IIRC) {Shft}{Arrow} increments -/+5 units.
If I click on the numeric field I can then use the arrow keys, if I then click on the slider, the numeric field loses focus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No one has given a definitive reply to thommy's question: Is there, on a Mac, an equivalent of the <SHIFT>-drag-slider combination for finer slider control? Yes or no?

I am guessing there is not, because everyone is saying "Try this instead" rather than "Sure, this is how you do it ...". Since I use <SHIFT>-drag-slider a lot on my Windows system, I find it very surprising that such a useful and seemingly simple interface component is not implemented the same way on the Mac. I wonder why this is so?

No one has given a definitive reply to thommy's question: Is there, on a Mac, an equivalent of the -drag-slider combination for finer slider control? Yes or no?

I am guessing there is not, because everyone is saying "Try this instead" rather than "Sure, this is how you do it ...". Since I use -drag-slider a lot on my Windows system, I find it very surprising that such a useful and seemingly simple interface component is not implemented the same way on the Mac. I wonder why this is so?

Way back in reply #5 I gave my definitive answer. There is a difference in the behaviors of the MS Mouse and that of a Mac mouse. For years Apple did not even have a right click with their single button mouse. Right click is a 2 finger click on the Magic Mouse now. At one time the right click was {Cmd}{Click} on the Mac mouse. It does not surprise me that functionality is different between Mac and Windows. Windows has 3 button mice, wheel mice. Rarely will you find Mac users with one of these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to clarify - the option to "slow down" the slider is done by left clicking on the mouse whilst pressing the Shift key and dragging.
And a definitive answer would be - No, it doesn't work on Mac
or
Yes, but you need to xxx...
Anyway - I also posted this question at feedback.photoshop.com and it has been added as a feature request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back