• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Sharpening JPEGs on export?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merak75

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC v11.3.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
The majority of my photos are jpeg's. I just started shooting in RAW about a year ago (loving it). Most of the jpeg's are either from iPhones or point and shoot cameras.
Most of the edits on these are cropping, WB, Shadows and maybe Saturation.
When I export these to share with family is export sharpening needed?

The majority of my photos are jpeg's. I just started shooting in RAW about a year ago (loving it). Most of the jpeg's are either from iPhones or point and shoot cameras.
Most of the edits on these are cropping, WB, Shadows and maybe Saturation.
When I export these to share with family is export sharpening needed?
In addition to Jim's advice, I would also say that sharpening depends on your desired IQ and your audience. If these are casual shots for the family, then sharpening may or may not be noticed by them, and they may or may not care. But more importantly, what do your eyes tell you? Some cameras produce soft raw images that very much improve with sharpening at all 3 steps Jim described. Others need less sharpening, and jpegs will depend on what you set in the camera. But output sharpening is quite easy to see if you look at an image at 50% or 100%. A highly over sharpened should be easy to see, just as a soft image that improves with a bit of sharpening should as well. I suggest playing around with the sliders to better train your eye and see what looks acceptable to you.

Good luck,

--Ken

Looks like Screen (Standard) is the best for me. I can't tell a difference on the majority of JPEG->JPEG but it does make a nice looking image when exporting RAW-JPEG.
I will leave it like this.

Thanks.

Looks like Screen (Standard) is the best for me. I can't tell a difference on the majority of JPEG->JPEG but it does make a nice looking image when exporting RAW-JPEG.
I will leave it like this.

Thanks.
FWIW, on export, I generally use Standard for screen or print depending on the use of the file.

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back