• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 25 June 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.4, Mobile & Desktop (June 2024)? for the bug fixes and new lens profiles. Warning... this is a minor dot release and does NOT fix some of the bugs introduced in 13.3, so if you reverted to 13.2 due to bugs (e.g. sync issues), we'd suggest you stay there for now.

Shared Web Gallery Keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgphotography

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
After searching through the forums I'm worried this idea I had to easily share a recent assignment with a photo editor won't work. But fingers crossed...

Is there anyway to sync a LR Classic Collection to a shared web gallery and have the keyword and captions visible to the invited viewer?

Thanks!

After searching through the forums I'm worried this idea I had to easily share a recent assignment with a photo editor won't work. But fingers crossed...

Is there anyway to sync a LR Classic Collection to a shared web gallery and have the keyword and captions visible to the invited viewer?

Thanks!

It would depend entirely on the web app or page showing the gallery. Many will let the page author choose the metadata to be displayed. Lightroom for the Web has two icons {i} and a “tag” icons to show Title and caption and other significant metadata. The “tag” icon shows Keywords.
If your web gallery only will show one Metadata field (Title or Caption or File Name) then you can combine keywords and captions into one field that can display. John Beardsworth has a plugin that will let to combine metadata into one field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would depend entirely on the web app or page showing the gallery. Many will let the page author choose the metadata to be displayed. Lightroom for the Web has two icons {i} and a “tag” icons to show Title and caption and other significant metadata. The “tag” icon shows Keywords.
If your web gallery only will show one Metadata field (Title or Caption or File Name) then you can combine keywords and captions into one field that can display. John Beardsworth has a plugin that will let to combine metadata into one field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh, I guess I wasn't clear: I am trying to share it in a LR Mobile shared gallery. I turned on "Show metadata" but it is only showing camera info.

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 12.40.02 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 12.40.17 PM.png

Any suggestions? I do use Photoshelter but I thought a shared LR collection would be easiest if the keywords and captions were visible.

The instructions that I gave was for Lightroom for the Web which is another way to look at your images in the Adobe Cloud. These same instructions work for Lightroom Desktop.
When using the Mobile app, the instructions are a little different due to the constraints of the OS.
Instead of the default info, you need to click to show metadata. This screen shot is from LR v9.0 (mobile) on an iPhone
IMG_3308.PNG

It can be done, though it also depends on a few things being setup correctly.

For a start, for the end user to be able to see the keywords in a shared album, then obviously those keywords have to be stored with the images in the cloud. And that doesn't happen by default when syncing a collection from LrClassic, i.e. keywords do not sync between LrC and the Cloud, although it is possible to effect a one-time, one-way transfer of keywords with the images when first syncing from LrC. That in turn requires:

1. An existing Smart Preview for the target images must not pre-exist in LrC when starting to sync them (if an SP does pre-exist, it must first be deleted before initiating sync).
2. After confirming that an SP does not exist, each target photo must be selected in LrC (in the Grid view) and Ctrl+S must be performed to write metadata to the files.
3. Then the images can be synced, so LrC then generates an SP from the image and the embedded Metadata from the "Save" is included in that SP. Thus when uploaded to the cloud, the keywords are included in that upload.

After that, the next "it depends" relates to how exactly you are sharing the album. If you are doing it by simply setting the album to "Anyone can View" and then sending the link to the end user, and the end user is then simply viewing the album in a browser, then the keywords cannot be displayed (there is no Tag icon to select). However, if the end user already has an Adobe account and subscription, then you can use the "Invite" option to send the link to the specific end-user, that end-user can then display the shared album in any of their Lightroom apps (LrD, LrM or LrW) and in that mode keywords will then be visible.

It can be done, though it also depends on a few things being setup correctly.

For a start, for the end user to be able to see the keywords in a shared album, then obviously those keywords have to be stored with the images in the cloud. And that doesn't happen by default when syncing a collection from LrClassic, i.e. keywords do not sync between LrC and the Cloud, although it is possible to effect a one-time, one-way transfer of keywords with the images when first syncing from LrC. That in turn requires:

1. An existing Smart Preview for the target images must not pre-exist in LrC when starting to sync them (if an SP does pre-exist, it must first be deleted before initiating sync).
2. After confirming that an SP does not exist, each target photo must be selected in LrC (in the Grid view) and Ctrl+S must be performed to write metadata to the files.
3. Then the images can be synced, so LrC then generates an SP from the image and the embedded Metadata from the "Save" is included in that SP. Thus when uploaded to the cloud, the keywords are included in that upload.

After that, the next "it depends" relates to how exactly you are sharing the album. If you are doing it by simply setting the album to "Anyone can View" and then sending the link to the end user, and the end user is then simply viewing the album in a browser, then the keywords cannot be displayed (there is no Tag icon to select). However, if the end user already has an Adobe account and subscription, then you can use the "Invite" option to send the link to the specific end-user, that end-user can then display the shared album in any of their Lightroom apps (LrD, LrM or LrW) and in that mode keywords will then be visible.
Wow, thank you for that in-depth knowledge! But what a nightmare. I have to know if someone has an Adobe account/subscription?

What I cannot understand is why on earth someone would like or comment on a photo (which seems to be easy to do and easy for me to see even in LR Classic) when they know nothing about it besides the shutter and f/stop and the arrangement of pixels. I guess I will have to find some other way to do this, likely using Photoshelter which unfortunately is also a nightmare for sharing.

The instructions that I gave was for Lightroom for the Web which is another way to look at your images in the Adobe Cloud. These same instructions work for Lightroom Desktop.
When using the Mobile app, the instructions are a little different due to the constraints of the OS.
Instead of the default info, you need to click to show metadata. This screen shot is from LR v9.0 (mobile) on an iPhone
View attachment 22068
I am so very confused. Thank you for this. I do see the keywords in the mobile app! But I am not going to expect a photo editor to look at and favorite and comment on my work on her phone. Do you know of anyway for someone to see this in a browser?

Do you know of anyway for someone to see this in a browser?
"Lightroom for the Web" as I first described. You have to share it and the persons viewing may need to Log on to Adobe. And it is constrained by the Keyword Syncing problem that Jim mentioned

The Other option is Adobe Portfolio. It easily shows captions and may can show keywords but I have not figured out how to include keywords and captions. If Only one description field is permitted, I would resort to using John Beardworth's Plug in to combine caption with keywords and display as a Caption. Caption's are synced between LrC and Lr.

"Lightroom for the Web" as I first described. You have to share it and the persons viewing may need to Log on to Adobe. And it is constrained by the Keyword Syncing problem that Jim mentioned

The Other option is Adobe Portfolio. It easily shows captions and may can show keywords but I have not figured out how to include keywords and captions. If Only one description field is permitted, I would resort to using John Beardworth's Plug in to combine caption with keywords and display as a Caption. Caption's are synced between LrC and Lr.
Ok, I am definitely not being paid enough for the job to figure this all out :confused:

I followed all of Jim's instructions and created a new shared gallery after deleting any smart previews and saving before syncing to a new gallery. When I invite myself to view it in my browser there are no keywords visible though, so I'm not sure it is working. There is still only an info and comment icon for each image - no tag. However there is a tag option to view keywords when I view the web gallery in my own account (not sharing).

Would you happen to have a moment to test this out for me, clee01l, if I invite you to view a shared web gallery? I think you can send me a private message with an email address, but of course only if you have time and can help further. Thanks!

Gee, even if I am viewing the shared web gallery as an invited guest and download the photos, there is no metadata at all in the files.

I think I will just have to export out jpgs and send via wetransfer. I was just hopeful that all of these LR platforms would work together and allow professional sharing of projects.

However there is a tag option to view keywords when I view the web gallery in my own account (not sharing).
And when you use that tag option, do you see the keywords that you added to the images?

If you do that means the keywords are in the cloud, so then check the sharing settings again when you send the invitation to make sure that "Show Metadata" in included (plus any other settings you might want to use). But as I said, do not expect the end user to see the keywords unless they are viewing the album from within any of their own Lightroom apps (which includes the Web app). If viewing using the simple shared album portal in a browser, keywords will not be visible as there is no tag icon.

But if you don't see the keywords in any of your own Lightroom apps, then you probably haven't uploaded the images to the cloud correctly.

But if you don't see the keywords in any of your own Lightroom apps, then you probably haven't uploaded the images to the cloud correctly.
Because of the lack of total synchronization of keywords, I think this is an unnecessary complication to have to keep up with. Once you sync (one time) keywords from LrC to the cloud, you are forced to repeat the process.

You said earlier :
But I am not going to expect a photo editor to look at and favorite and comment on my work on her phone. Do you know of anyway for someone to see this in a browser?
If this is a one time, one person album, I'd be inclined to use John Beardworth's Search and Replace plugin http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/lightroom/search-and-replace/ to combine captions and keyword into the Caption field. where LrC will synchronize the Caption field to the Adobe Cloud and on to Lightroom for the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back