• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Shared Profiles LrC and Adobe Camera Raw (Ps plugin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denis de Gannes

DdeGannes
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 9.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
This procedure was adopted in earlier versions than the latest. If both programs are not in sync e.g. If LrC is. Version 9.4 and ACR plugin is 11.4, will ACR read the LrC ( XMP info ). To wit are the sheared profiles ”controlled” by either or both applications?

This procedure was adopted in earlier versions than the latest. If both programs are not in sync e.g. If LrC is. Version 9.4 and ACR plugin is 11.4, will ACR read the LrC ( XMP info ). To wit are the sheared profiles ”controlled” by either or both applications?

I’m not sure what the question is. The XMP is written by the app that creates it. The app that reads the XMP needs to be the same version or a more recent version.

If an older version of Lightroom (say LR6) creates an XMP and a current version of Lightroom Classic or Photoshop reads that XMP then the develop instructions will be read just fine but if you try to read an XMP created by the latest version (x.4) by an older version, the app will throw an error.

Open an XMP file with a text editor and you will see the version of ACR used to create it. The current version of ACR Will read all previous version XMP files but not any from future ACR versions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are profiles that are now located in a shared folder. So either application can access those profiles.
When Adobe updates Adobe Camera Raw with new shared profiles, then when you update the app the new profiles are now available within the shared folder.
When you update LrC does the install place updated / new profiles in the shared folder? So in essence there are a set of profiles for ACR and a set for LrC.
The earlier versions of Lightroom 1 through 6 did not have shared folders.

OK I understand better now. You are referring to camera Profiles which stored as an XML file which is not the same as a develop profile stored with an image. Both XMP types are stored in either a file or an XMP section of a DNG. I haven’t used Camera profiles on Photoshop so I can not answer. I’ve always called PS via Lightroom Classic as an external editor.

Lightroom Settings are stored in one of two places. Locally with the Catalog and Globally available to all catalogs. If the Camera Profile is stored in the Global location, it might be available to Ps. You can check wher Ps Stores the camera profiles to see if that is compatible with the Lightroom Global location

So in other words there is a ”Shared folder” containing prolies for each application?

I don’t know where the folder is for Photoshop. It could be shared but maybe not. After my previous pose I realized that there are additional folders in the Lightroom Application area that are only available to Lightroom. These LrC camera profiles might be there and not available to PS.

The bottom line is: “I do not know”. You would need to research these locations on your computer just like I would have to do on mine to get the definitive answer

I'm not 100% sure on the question. However, both Lightroom and ACR hosted by Bridge or Photoshop all access the same files stored in the Camera Raw application folder. Either installer can install them.

I'm not 100% sure on the question. However, both Lightroom and ACR hosted by Bridge or Photoshop all access the same files stored in the Camera Raw application folder. Either installer can install them.
Thanks, for clearing my thoughts on that point. So my expectation that a profile created by Adobe and installed with the LrC 9.4 or ACR 12.4 installer will not be available to earlier versions of LrC or ACR even though they may have access to the shared folder.

Um. As long as it wasn't too old (like LR7 with the new xmp profiles that were introduced later), I would expect it to work.

Correct. Any version later than Lightroom 7.3 uses the same shared folder and the XMP profiles. These profiles haven’t changed anymore since then. That means that all versions should share the profiles without any problems. Please note that Camera Raw only supports profiles when used as raw plugin. Camera Raw is also available from the Filter menu in Photoshop, but because you use filters on images already opened by Photoshop (meaning they are not raw images anymore) you won’t be able to use raw profiles in the Camera Raw Photoshop filter.

Um. As long as it wasn't too old (like LR7 with the new xmp profiles that were introduced later), I would expect it to work.
Interesting, I am not running any older version so I cannot test.
Correct. Any version later than Lightroom 7.3 uses the same shared folder and the XMP profiles. These profiles haven’t changed anymore since then. That means that all versions should share the profiles without any problems. Please note that Camera Raw only supports profiles when used as raw plugin. Camera Raw is also available from the Filter menu in Photoshop, but because you use filters on images already opened by Photoshop (meaning they are not raw images anymore) you won’t be able to use raw profiles in the Camera Raw Photoshop filter.
Thanks Johan, makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back