- Lightroom Version
- Lightroom Classic Version 9
- Operating System
- Windows 10
I have used Lightroom on and off over the past 3 months or so and am getting to grips with how it works. I have recently been reconfiguring my Desktop PC so that I can organise many photos, shot when I first got a digital camera years ago - probably spanning over 20 years. Having researched quite a lot since coming on here I have installed an NVMe SSD Drive (2TB) to move all my photos to. Currently they are dotted around many HDD's and Nas servers. My Windows 10 OS is on another NVMe SSD drive (500GB) and my first (and experimental) Catalogue "Family & Travel" is on a 250GB Sata SSD. At the present time I have the Parent Photo Folder On the 2TB drive named again "Family & Travel" containing 783 photos (.jpg's / .dng's / CR3's) and have 1 other folder outside the Parent named "Edited Files" which contains 2 edited "keepers" from Lightroom itself. It took me ages to work out how to do this - first learn was to do the swapping and changing etc from within Lightroom itself. As all my photos will be situated on this same drive, I have premanently moved 17 more folders to it which I have yet to introduce into my Catalogue. Later on I shall create a second Catalogue for my Videos, which as I write this makes me think I will want to change the current Parent folder to "Family & Travel Photos" lol!
I have manged to get the folder structure on the 2 Catalogue folders in Lightroom identical to those on my drive and want to keep it like that when I "Import" the 17 other folders. I am attaching a photo, so you can see where I am right now.
Before I proceed though I first of all want to change the 2TB Drive Letter in Windows - I know how to do this but I was a too hasty setting it up in the first place. I also want to change the Volume Name and change the Parent folder name slightly (see above) at the same time. I have a number of questions please, if I may ask? : -
1. So I change the Drive letter and Volume name in Windows but then what? Obviously I need to do something in Lightroom but I do not want to change anything that I've done so far. I've read much about changing drive letters on here and on the interweb but cannot find what to do unless my photos are on an external drive, which they are not.
2. Then, because I've gone through much angst to get to where I am at the moment, what is the exact procedure to import my other 17 and future folders into Lightroom retaining the same folder structure. At the moment I can click on a folder in Lightroom to preview those photos that folder and which are actually in the same folder on my 2TB drive - again I want to retain this methodology. At first if I clicked on the Parent Folder in Lightroom, it showed all the photos across the 2 folders on my 2TB drive but I found the setting to avoid showing subfolders and voila!
3. When viewing photos in the Library Module, is there a way to easily see the next or previous photo? At the moment clicking on the photo makes it larger and, I think I have to double click to get back to where I was. I know you can set up a slideshow but when Previewing I would like to go forwards and backwards, as you can in windows using the basic Windows Photo app. Is this possible?
4. At the moment my photos in the Library show the name / type / resolution / date / time of the photos. Brilliant, but then I read about "Keywords". What are these and how do they work? - I guess I can change the names but does doing so overwrite this information - what I mean is, is there a way to rename whilst at the same time showing this name as well as the other information (which I assume is taken from the meta data in the photos)?
That's it for now haha! - thanks for reading and hope you can help this enthusiastic newbie