• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV and Web? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Set up new masking tools on iPad

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. iOS
I’m using Lightroom mobile on the newest iPad Pro but I am not seeing the newest masking tools (Select Subject and Select Sky). I’ve signed out of the iPad app and signed back in without any luck. It looks like I’m running version 6.41. How I force an update to v. 7?

Found the update.

Thanks,

Don

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Assuming we're still talking about the Masking Brush (as opposed to the Healing Brush), that's the brush settings, but it doesn't sound like you've adjusted any of the sliders like Exposure? That's like choosing painting over a patch on the wall without any paint on the brush... there's nothing to see.
I changed directions - those were the settings for the healing brush.
I'll have to play with the Exposure to see if that'll fix the issue.
I looked briefly at that Adobe link you provided but will spend some more time investigating that issue. I have been using the Apple Pencil
Thanks,

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Ok, probably useful to specify. For the masking, the Apple Pencil thread is probably it. For healing, we'd need to understand more about what you're doing.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Assuming we're still talking about the Masking Brush (as opposed to the Healing Brush), that's the brush settings, but it doesn't sound like you've adjusted any of the sliders like Exposure? That's like choosing painting over a patch on the wall without any paint on the brush... there's nothing to see.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
It looks like I confused things here. I’m trying to use the healing brush on the iPad to remove the people in the left hand picture in my post above (#10 in this thread). When I paint over them on the iPad, either with the Pencil or my finger, i still have a ghost image of the person even tho the feather’s set at 0 and the opacity at 100. It’s as if i have to paint over the remnants 2 or 3 times to eliminate the people.

Could it be that I’m doing this edit on the iPad and not in LRC on the computer that’s causing the ghosting, that i can‘t remove the people? I loaded the pictures as raw files onto the iPad and when i got home, downloaded them into LRC on my iMac. I use a Sony 6500.

The pic is a nighttime shot at Mt. Rushmore in So. Dakota.

Thanks for your time in working on this.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Your initial screenshot showed the Masks open, rather than the Healing Brush.

It sounds like you have it set to Heal rather than Clone. Clone does a clean copy whereas Heal tries to blend. It depends on the object as to which is best - try Clone (it's just the dropdown when you have the Brush open).

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Your initial screenshot showed the Masks open, rather than the Healing Brush.

It sounds like you have it set to Heal rather than Clone. Clone does a clean copy whereas Heal tries to blend. It depends on the object as to which is best - try Clone (it's just the dropdown when you have the Brush open).
What I was trying to show with the 2 pictures is the different UI's with the iPad and the iPhone only. It only became clear to me after I played with the iPad for a while what was going on... I'm going to have to work with it more.

I also tried the Clone tool - I think what I will have to do is enlarge the picture so that there's more area between the people to draw from. The people are too close together and I can't grab the walkway as I'd like. That, and the one person next to the wall has to be worked on in more than one pass to account for the lighted wall.

I'm still in the learning stages. This site has been invaluable! Thanks.