• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Seperated from my desktop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsnyc

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Latest versions of Lightroom Classic and Lightroom - since I have Photography Plan
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hello all - Due to the pandemic, my iMac is in my normal home and I am far away with a very nice MacBook Pro. I normally use Lightroom Classic and synchronize Collections that I want to share with others and access/edit from my iPhone or iPad.

I don't seem to have this option from my MacBook Pro. Is this because my iMac is my primary computer and is the only one that I can Sync collections from?

I am taking lots of pictures now and would like to synchronize some new collections so I can share them and access them from my iPhone.

Since I likely won't return home for a month or two, what's the best way to have this missing functionality from my MacBook?

NOTES that may help:
- I can remotely access my iMac to make changes if necessary.
- I have somewhere around 5 TB of photos on my iMac (backed up in the cloud via a backup service) and don't have that much space here.
- I happen to have my 5-star (best) photos from 2006 onwards imported into my MacBook Pro catalog since I happen to have a backup of those photos on my external SSD

How are you running LR on your MacBook? Do you have a full copy of the iMac catalog? A subset of it? etc.

If it's an exact copy of the iMac catalog it should sync to the cloud OK. If it's a derivative catalog then not.

Depending on what you want to do on the MacBook, you can use the LR/Cloudy desktop app on the MacBook. This will be much like what you can do on your tablet or phone. It's not LR classic but what you do there (expect keywords) will sync back to the iMac assuming they are all using the same Adobe Account.

However, if you have good bandwidth, and have remote access from the MacBook to the iMac, you may want to install some remote support SW so you can use the MacBook more or less like a remote screen, keyboard and mouse. For example, AnyDesk.com is one of these that I use. As these are Mac's you may need someone at the iMac to set a permission and you didn't mention if anyone was present at the iMac house. But, you also said that you can remotley access the iMac so maybe you already have this set up. If so, than using the MacBook, launch LR Classic on the iMac and use it as if you were there.

If your master Classic catalog is on the iMac and is syncing with the cloud, you an access everything that is sync'd using Lightroom (cloudy) on the MBP. Furthermore any new full size images that you import to the LC9cloudy) app on the MBP will sync to the cloud and back down to the iMac.
If your iMac is not running, but was unto date with its sync to the Adobe cloud, you have access to what is in the cloud and any new images added to the cloud via Lightroom (cloudy) on the MBP will be stored in the cloud waiting to sync with the iMac when the iMac next runs LR Classic. The y only caveat to this is that you are limited to the cloud storage of your plan for any images that you import via the MBP and Lightroom (cloudy) If you have the 20GB plan, this can fill quickly. Now might be agood time to upgrade to he 1TB photography play that includes Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and 1TB of cloud storage.

@clee01l & @Califdan, Thanks for the LR/Cloudy desktop suggestion. I have not used it but will try it out right away.

I did have my iMac turned on at home - and can remotely access, but prefer to work locally if I can. I will test out the remote syncing.

Will update you on my success!

I bought @Victoria Bampton's latest books and she talks through the workflow of using CC and Cloudy. I am working via Cloudy while I am away and will TeamViewer into my home computer when necessary. Good chance to try out the cloud version and see what I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back