• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Separate "removed" photos from Lr catalog folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbeck

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Over the years I've been hesitant to delete from disk any except true rejects (exposure/focus). The result being that I now have more than 17K "keeper" photos in a couple hundred subfolders in my Lr parent folder. Probably twice that many I have removed from catalog but left in the HDD. Now that my Lr folder is rather large (keepers+removed) I want to delete or at least move out of my Lr folders most if not all that I selected to "remove from catalog" (not delete).

Is there some way to parse out the "removed" photos?

The best way is using Lightroom. In Each folder, choose synchronize Folder. This will show image in that folder that ia not in Lightroom. If you import these, you can you the previous Import special collection to review and delete these files in that folder and this time delete them from disk.

Yes, you could synchronize the parent folder so all these not-removed photo's coming in again. After that you can select them all (via the special collection previous import) CTRL+A and than delete them for real

It's important to note that if you do this, you either need to immediately delete them, or move them into some permanent collection, as this previous import collection goes away on the next import of any type. Definitely this is the simplest and quickest way to do what you want. Also, be sure to turn off any background processes like sync, face recognition, or gps lookup so you don't waste resources processing them during their brief life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back