• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.

Semi-transparent brush while using Spot Removal tool?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic (v9.2.1), Camera Raw (v12.2.1)
Operating System
Windows 10
Whet using the Spot Removal (Heal/Clone) tool, is there any way to make it semi-transparent, like in the mask overlay of Local Adjustments, while painting, instead of that opaque white?

It is sometimes quite difficult to see where the brush is being applied, especially when it has a large Feather. Sometimes I have to redo it when sections are left out due to the strokes not overlapping correctly due to the feathering set on the brush.

Or maybe there is some other technique that can be used to make it easier to do this?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
"opaque white" as for the Brush?
No. Spot Healing Tool only has - Size, Feather and Opacity. Opacity will change the 'transparency', but that is changing the resulting effect of the spot heal.
I also have problems when two 'Spot/Heal' adjustments do not overlap areas. My 'correction' is often to make two 'Spots' apart and then move/drag one closer to the other until it looks right. A bit like 'overlaying' two Spots.
When I get frustrated with that I take the image to Photoshop for the better Healing brush. :)

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
"opaque white" as for the Brush?
No. Spot Healing Tool only has - Size, Feather and Opacity. Opacity will change the 'transparency', but that is changing the resulting effect of the spot heal.
I also have problems when two 'Spot/Heal' adjustments do not overlap areas. My 'correction' is often to make two 'Spots' apart and then move/drag one closer to the other until it looks right. A bit like 'overlaying' two Spots.
When I get frustrated with that I take the image to Photoshop for the better Healing brush. :)
You are misunderstanding my question. I am not interested in having transparency on the effect, but only on the visual reference on the screen when applying it, so that I can have the ability to see where the brush is applied.

In regards to having two seperate but overlapping spots, I have no problem there. I just hit the "H" key to hide, and I can easily place a second spot as close as I want, but that is not the point here. I am refering to the process of painting the strokes and having a visual reference of where the feathering area is being applied as one paints.

Since it only shows an opaque white area on the screen for the entire brush size irrespective of the feathering, I are unable to see which parts are being affected by the feather section of the brush stroke. I unable to see which part of the underlying image will be completely selected and which part will have a varying opacity due to the feather set on the brush.

When using the local adjustments, the coloured mask area allows us to see that, but with an opaque white mask that is not visible until the end when the painting ends. At that point we can no longer correct it (since you can´t add or erase from it, and the only way is to delete the spot completely and redo it hoping I set the correct overlapping distance as I paint the area again.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I am not interested in having transparency on the effect, but only on the visual reference on the screen when applying it, so that I can have the ability to see where the brush is applied.
OK, I "get the picture" now. I agree with your idea. It needs suggesting at- Photoshop Lightroom Family

The Spot Healing brush (circles) indicate a feather, but the 'mask' overlay does not!
ScreenShot059.jpg

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I am not interested in having transparency on the effect, but only on the visual reference on the screen when applying it, so that I can have the ability to see where the brush is applied.
OK, I "get the picture" now. I agree with your idea. It needs suggesting at- Photoshop Lightroom Family

The Spot Healing brush (circles) indicate a feather, but the 'mask' overlay does not!
View attachment 14441
Thank you for the link!