glospete

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 10.19.00 am.png

I want to convert an image to black and white and then bring back colour to a selected area. So I added a Black & White Adjustment layer and that gave me the black and version of my image. I then selected the Brush Tool and set my foreground colour to black. However when I begin to paint over the part of my image on which I want to bring back the colour I am not successful. I click with my mouse on part of the image and colour appears but as I try to add further brush strokes nothing happens. The attached image hardly shows what I'm trying to explain but where the arrow points is where there is colour but nothing I do seems to add to my selection. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Can you make the screenshot a bit bigger please? I'm trying to spot the details. You could also Opt click on the layer mask to see that you masked the right bit. What color is that window in the original?

Some additional info. When I'm using the mouse to paint in areas of the image nothing shows (although the area is visible on the mask). But if then make the layers invisible and then bring them back I can see the painted areas. But that isn't a lot of use when I'm painting as I expected to see the "colour" areas as I paint them. The image shows the painted areas after clicking off and clicking back on the layers.
Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 10.42.47 am.png
Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 10.42.47 am.png

Can you make the screenshot a bit bigger please? I'm trying to spot the details. You could also Opt click on the layer mask to see that you masked the right bit. What color is that window in the original?
I’m just going out but will respond later today. Thanks

I'll upload larger versions but when I did before it said they were too large! I've scrapped the first image I sent as I don't think it explains anything. As I try to add further brush strokes nothing happens - you can see the green circle where the brush touched but any further strokes results in nothing.

image_1.png

image_2.png
image_2.png

This link may help. I have copied my screen movements and have uploaded an MP4 file to my Dropbox account:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/98ceokgae2xrao5/Photoshop Selective Colour.mp4?dl=0You will see how when I click on the image to paint in the colour, the first brush stroke works but subsequent ones do not. The only way I can see the result is to hide the background layer and then make it visible again.

Johan you are a marvel! Exactly as you suggested and now it works perfectly! I wonder how many other people have tried and given up with this without ever realising that changing this setting solves it? And I wonder that Adobe don't give a hint about it somewhere. Anyway I am eternally grateful to you and I will respond on the Photoshop Family site as well. Thank you.

Johan you are a marvel! Exactly as you suggested and now it works perfectly! I wonder how many other people have tried and given up with this without ever realising that changing this setting solves it? And I wonder that Adobe don't give a hint about it somewhere. Anyway I am eternally grateful to you and I will respond on the Photoshop Family site as well. Thank you.
Yeah, this is a tricky one. This setting is off by default, but if you enabled it in a previous version it will stay on. And in previous versions it was sometimes necessary to turn it on, because the new compositing engine was having a few glitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back