• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Selecting pics in LR4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbcamera

In LR3 I would pick my photos from multimple directories and create a collection of all the flagged photos. Then I would flag the pics from the collection to fine tune. LR4 has made the flag a global not local flag so I can't do that workflow. Any suggestions on a similar workflow in LR4? Is there an option to make flags local and not global?

How about marking them as 1 or 2 star for your first pass, and then 3 stars for your second pass?

On import I assign every image a "To Be Worked Label" using an import metadata preset. This shows up in my Workflow Label set assigned to red. These I flag as "Pick", "Reject" or leave unlabeled.

Besides "To Be Worked" (red), I have other labels that designate the stage an image is in my workflow.
"Work In Progress" (yellow)
"Needs Further Review" (green)
"Complete - Unpublished" (blue)
"In a Published Collection" (purple).
As I work pick flagged images, I assign a label that reflects the workflow status of the image.
Any image in the workflow label set that is red, yellow, or green can get marked for rejection. I am free to remove and delete any rejected image when the mood strikes.
I work Picked (P) images all the way through to getting assigned either a "Complete - Unpublished" (blue) or "In a Published Collection" (purple) label.
When I have worked the picked (P) images through to a Complete state (blue or purple), I return to the unflagged "To Be Worked" images for further critical review.

One of the ways I used the old workflow was to create different collections for a different purpose at an event. Like organizing pictures to email to different groups of people. It was nice to create a collection and flag them without affecting the orginal files

Unfortunately you were one of very few people who could actually find a good use for it. Most people never understood what local flags were. Plus local flags couldn't be used for interchangeable metadata in the future. You could try adding photos to quick collection to mark which ones you're going to send to a specific person, and then save those particular photos as a collection or assigned other metadata.

Unfortunately you were one of very few people who could actually find a good use for it. Most people never understood what local flags were. Plus local flags couldn't be used for interchangeable metadata in the future. You could try adding photos to quick collection to mark which ones you're going to send to a specific person, and then save those particular photos as a collection or assigned other metadata.
Victoria,
I've had a chance to digest this issue reading other posts etc. Just to clarify: Going forward I could create multiple collections to contain my old concept of pics for each purpose. Going back to the old collections I can right click and select old contextual flagged to select the files in the collection that previous were local to the collection itself. What would you recommend as the new way to flag those files and if it's keyword what keyword would you use as it would need to be specific to the collection itself not "old flag".

One of the ways I used the old workflow was to create different collections for a different purpose at an event. Like organizing pictures to email to different groups of people. It was nice to create a collection and flag them without affecting the orginal files
I have a series of Internal (not for Export) keywords, I use these to create smart collections. For Example: "@Flickr" keyworded images go to my Flickr Smart Publish Collection. "@AppleTV" goes into a slideshow for my AppleTV. Could easily be the same image. Something like this would work for you too. I only have one Static collection in my workflow that is not temporary. Everything else is a Smart Collection based upon labels, and Keywords and is driven by the data

Willem, unless I've misunderstood your workflow, I'd keep it really simple - create a collection set, and then create subcollections below which only contain the photos that you'd have flagged before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back