• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Selecting multiple contiguous images in grid view......

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbill

Dreaming of a better world.......
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. iOS
This is driving me crackers and I’m sure you must be able to do this!

I just want to be able to select multiple contiguous images with a gesture rather than having to click on each individual image. This is on an iPad Pro with the current mobile version.

All help greatly appreciated! Make me sane again!

Graham

I don't think it can be done as this is a limitation of the Operating system. There is a checkbox to select all in the album If I wanted to select "most" but not all, I would first select all and then unselect those that I wanted to exclude.

Maybe I’m not so mad then! Normally I would be selecting, maybe 150 images out of a batch of 450, clicking them is a bit tiresome! I’m sure I’ve seen this working, maybe Android? Oh well, if it can’t be done I’ll just need to accept it.....

It can be done. Select the first one of the range then press and hold on the first one and slide your finger down (or up) to the last one. As you slide, all the images in between are checked.
I find it a little fiddly, but it definitely can be done.

Cheers Jim, trying that, so in grid view, press and hold on an image. This gets the selection tick. Then I release my press and perform another press and hold on this image and drag but no other images are selected.

Is there an option to switch this functionality on? Can’t see anything.....

Once the first image is selected, press and hold on its checkmark, then drag.

As I said, it's a bit fiddly, but you should be able to get it working.

This sounded like the answer but still no joy, just doesn’t select any other images :-(
This is in an album grid view, should work here, no?

Once the first image is selected, press and hold on its checkmark, then drag.

As I said, it's a bit fiddly, but you should be able to get it working.
Following your instructions, All that happens for me on myiPhone is the. Selected image (all all of the others) scroll up or down the screen. I tried the same on the iPadPro for a n identical result.

Yes, grid view in albums or All Photos. I've successfully done it on 4 different devices so far (2 x iPads,1 x iPhone and 1 x Android phone). Are you using the menu>Select option first?

:-( Tried it on both of my Ipads, not working on either, however, my Android phone is working fine, pretty strange but at least I can see that I have the right technique! Android version is 4.4.1 whereas the Ipads are 4.4.0 but this is the latest one available. Pretty weird!

Weird indeed. On of my iPads is still running version 3.4.0, so it's definitely not a version issue.

One thing I did notice, which may or may not be relevant, is that when the first image is correctly selected I have to drag to select the image to the right before I can drag up or down. If I try to drag up or down from the first selected image the entire grid will move up or down, and dragging left has no effect. This means that if the first selected image is at the extreme right-hand side of the grid row, it won't work (which I suspect is a bug).

One thing I did notice, which may or may not be relevant, is that when the first image is correctly selected I have to drag to select the image to the right before I can drag up or down. If I try to drag up or down from the first selected image the entire grid will move up or down, and dragging left has no effect. This means that if the first selected image is at the extreme right-hand side of the grid row, it won't work (which I suspect is a bug).
Yes, it worked for me on an old i-pad (LR 3.4) after multiple unsuccesful attempts. You have to select the 'selection tick' accurate before you can move the image.

Cheers Jim, yes, even dragging to the image to the right of the selected one doesn't work. On the android mobile you can just long press to select the image and then just move around to select other images (all with a single press). Both of the Ipads are the Pro version, not sure if this is relevant though. I guess I'm stuck with selecting images with a tap for the time being. Thanks for your help, most appreciated.

It's a fiddle. Quickest way I find it hit the ... (top right), Select, then you can glide your finger easily selecting sequentially.

Yes, grid view in albums or All Photos. I've successfully done it on 4 different devices so far (2 x iPads,1 x iPhone and 1 x Android phone). Are you using the menu>Select option first?
Yes, but I figured it out AFTER selecting the first image you have to select a second image before you can drag select more and you can only move left or right to select adjacent images on that row. When you are at the end of that row you can move up or down to the next row and again swipe left or right. Intuitatively, you want to select the first image then swipe up/down until you reach the last image to be selected. This only scrolls the panel as I indicated earlier

Last edited:
Yes, but I figured it out AFTER selecting the first image you have to select a second image before you can drag select more and you can only move left or right to select adjacent images on that row. When you are at the end of that row you can move up or down to the next row and again swipe left or right. Intuitatively, you want to select the first image then swipe up/down until you reach the last image to be selected. This only scrolls the panel as I indicated earlier
Did you not see my post #11?

I think the important part is that even though the select option is on, the OS is still in Scroll mode and dragging only actuated a scroll. It is after that first image is selected does the OS switch to “drag to add” mode. I’ve even been able to select one or two here, 3-4 there, scroll those off the screen, select several more.

Yep, 'fraid so, tried every which way! Move to the right, move to the left, diagonal, straight down! No joy.... Kind of resigned to individual tapping now!

Yep, 'fraid so, tried every which way! Move to the right, move to the left, diagonal, straight down! No joy.... Kind of resigned to individual tapping now!

Try this:
1 Select an image, it gets a blue check mark
2. Lift your finger.
Double tap and keep your finger down to Select a second image. It gets a check mark. With your finger still on that 2nd image drag your finger left or right to another unselected image. It will gain the check mark and the blue border
3 with the finget down continue dragging and selecting images that you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back