• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Selecting laptop for lightroom cc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaios

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
cc classic and online
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi all,
I need your experience on picking the right laptop for using lightroom cc.
the idea will be to mostly using lightroom for picking the right pictures (star rating). It will be nice that the colors are not super off but for a laptop/notebook one has to be realistic. Budget wise I am looking up to 500 euros.

Ideally I wanted to go for 17.3 screen for the image processing (basic stuff but still) but these tend to be much more expensive than the 15.6 laptops.
For disk I will defninitely go for an ssd, small one is enough, since I do not put a lot of photos in the laptop.

What do you recommend for resolutions, screen size, models, and cpus for lightroom cc ?

Thanks a lot.
Alex

Hi all,
I need your experience on picking the right laptop for using lightroom cc.
the idea will be to mostly using lightroom for picking the right pictures (star rating). It will be nice that the colors are not super off but for a laptop/notebook one has to be realistic. Budget wise I am looking up to 500 euros.

Ideally I wanted to go for 17.3 screen for the image processing (basic stuff but still) but these tend to be much more expensive than the 15.6 laptops.
For disk I will defninitely go for an ssd, small one is enough, since I do not put a lot of photos in the laptop.

What do you recommend for resolutions, screen size, models, and cpus for lightroom cc ?

Thanks a lot.
Alex
Alex,

Assuming that pricing is roughly the same between the EU and the US, you might have to settle for a system with a regular HDD, not an SSD. Someting like this system: New 15.6" Lenovo 320 Laptop, AMD Quad-Core A12-9720P 2.7GHz, 8G, 1TB, DVD. HDMI - Newegg.com. Considering the overall system specifications, you might find even basic Lightroom operations very slow.

One way to keep overall costs down is to get a laptop with a 256 GB SSD, for Windows and programs. Get a separate external HDD, 1 or 2 TB or more, to hold photos.

Phil Burton

I am just coming back from a typical large European laptop store. I use the laptop for rating albums that I have over internet with lightroom cc. For backups putting an external disk on the camera backpack is more than okay (so a fast and small ssd, should do the work).
I only need a decent display with a reasonably good srgb coverage for laptop for viewing pictures, very light editing and rating. After this phase I will be doing the normal editing on my pc and monitor at home.

Any ideas on how to focus on better displays for notebooks?
Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,

There are a lot of choices, but all involve compromise of one sort or another. One budget machine that I picked up recently that I have been happy with is a Lenovo Yoga 730. I bought the 13.3" model, but they also make a 15" version (that has the same 1080 resolution). The 13.3" model had a very fast NVMe SSD, 8GB of RAM and an i5-8250U CPU. I found it to be a reasonable compromise for the money (as I really wanted a machine with 16GB), and battery life is not too bad at around 7.5-8 hours. The screen calibrated to 99% sRGB (but is glossy as the machine is a 2-in-1), but I am adjusting to it. And, my model had two Thunderbolt 3 ports so my Samsung T5 external SSD just flies (and I highly recommend one of these regardless of what machine you buy). I know that Acer had the Spin 5 (also a 13" machine), but I believe they may have a 15" version as well that might be good value for the money.

Good luck,

--Ken

The Lenovo that I mentioned works with a pen. Lenovo has a version of the Wacom pen and Wacom also sells their version that is supposed to be compatible. I am not familiar with that specific Asus machine, but I did consider some other models from them. I eventually went with the Lenovo because of support and better cooling (some Asus machines had reputations for running quite hot, and that can throttle the CPU).

I really like the reviews at this site: Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News . They are quite comprehensive. See what they have to say as you find models you are interested in purchasing. Their review partially led me to the Yoga 730.

--Ken

Thanks a lot again for the reply. Does anyone have experience running this software on small laptops with celeron cores, 8GB of ram and 64 gb hard disk (EMMC implementation)?
It is higher than the specs but I was just wondering if such low spec machine can be used to rate pictures in lightroom cc and do some basic editing (Exposure, white balance)

I can hardly imagine trying to run something like LR on a machine with a 64GB EMMC drive. I would either look for a machine with a spinning drive or seek out other software with a lighter footprint. FastStone is a good option for culling, and FastRawViewer might also be an option for some simple tasks. I cannot say that I have tried on a machine with an EMMC drive, but I have used it on my ThinkPad T420 with a Samsung SSD and i5-2410 processor, and it was not exactly a speed demon (although it was OK for basic tasks). I really think there must be better options than a Celeron-based machine with an EMMC drive within your budget.

Good luck,

--Ken

Go to Preferences > Local Storage and it'll tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back